Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #1 
Jrf456

Am i doing anything wrong???

HI!

Someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong here.

- a 5 gallon tank with 5 betta females.
- four plants and a tank ornament.
- 10% water change every 5 days.
- A filter running 24/7.
- Feeding once a day.
- A tank light.
- No heater.

Is everything I'm doing okay?
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
HI!

Someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong here.

- a 5 gallon tank with 5 betta females.
- four plants and a tank ornament.
- 10% water change every 5 days.
- A filter running 24/7.
- Feeding once a day.
- A tank light.
- No heater.

Is everything I'm doing okay?
Hi again Jfr... I made a reply in your other post about if you need a heater, so I won't comment on that here.

But, I believe you need a bigger tank for 5 female bettas.... more like a 10 gallon minimum.

Are the plants real or artificial? Real plants are always a good thing as they help eat up a little bit of the bad stuff that accumulates in your tank. If they're artificial plants, you need to be careful as some fake ones can hurt your bettas. Sharp edges can snag and rip delicate fins or poke eyes, for example. Other forum members say that if you run pantyhose over the plants (or tank ornaments) and it snags, then don't use it. Real plants are better if you can do it, ditch the fake ones.

Tank ornament - be sure there are no sharp edges (see above). Also, if there are any openings, you need to be certain that if your fish try to swim through it that they won't get stuck, as I've read several accounts where bettas (who are very curious critters) get stuck... and even die... trying to swim through openings.

Water changes... 10% every 5 days is very inadequate! If your tank is not cycled, with 5 fish (again, too small for 5 fish), you need to do very frequent water changes.... I'd think something like 75% every other day minimum.... but see what others ideas are, too. If it is cycled (again, 5 bettas too much for a 5 gallon), and it's overstocked so I'd think something like 50% 3 times per week with a gravel vacuum. I may be off on my estimates for changes, so again... see what others say, but this is just what I'd do with your tank as it is....... but you REALLY need to get a bigger tank!

Filter 24/7... good. Check that the outflow of water is not too strong for your fish... If they appear to be struggling a little with the current of it, then it needs to be baffled (slow down/deflect the outflow).

Feeding once a day - my opinion is that you'd be better off feeding a couple smaller meals than just one meal. Easier on their digestive system. What do you feed and how much of it? If any is uneaten, then feed less/slower so that you don't allow it to fall to the bottom to deteriorate and pollute your tank.

Tank light... ok.

Heater.... should have that and a thermometer to maintain a stable temp, even though you're in Florida. Florida is not always hot and you need to maintain a stable temp of around 76 to 80.

Didn't mention dechlorinator. You need to add dechlorinator to your tap water as their gills will be toast if you don't! Something like Seachem Prime is what many recommend, but there are lots out on the market.

Hope this helps a little.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

This thread is about betta sororities and has lots of good info for you.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #4 
kif3

as leroy said you definately need a bigger tank (you dont want them to get ammonia burn D: ),so just think, youve got 5 bettas and five gallons, that means that there is only a gallon of water per fish, i would suggest fairly big water changes (maybe 40-50%?) pretty much every day or as leroy said 75ish% every other day. you've just gotta remember people with one gallon tanks have to do almost 100% water changes every day for one betta, the filter will help though.
also if you plan on getting real plants dont forget to do research on it as well as a quarantine.

once again as leroy said see what other people have to say about water changes ^^ i hope this helps and good luck with those girls ^^
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #5 
SnowySurface

5 bettas in 5 gallons is like each betta in 1 gallon of water. I personally do 50% every other day and a full water change on the 6or 7th day (depends on my schedule). However, each of my bettas have their own tank, so I have one filter for each fish. Since you have 1 filter for all 5 fish, you probably need to do 50-75% every day until a 100% change once a week. That usually excessive for a tank, but you have your filter working itself to the bone if it's the smaller 2-5gal. If you bump it up to 10 gallons, it shouldn't be as hard to keep ammonia under control since each fish will have more room and you will have a larger filter.

Since you do have a soroity, do you have any hiding places? I'm not sure if plants are enough if a female really wants to hide from the pecking order for a bit. You may want to add something that a fish can dart in and out of if you have the room. Everything else I can think of was already covered by Leroy. Especially the thermometer if you don't have heaters. It may be hot in FL, but if you have the AC on then your fish are as cold as the inside of your house or apartment.

Good luck. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, setting up a sorority has been much easier than I anticipated. I thought I would end up having to find space for five additional tanks, but my females pick at each other less than my other supposedly more 'peaceful' species of bettas. At the moment they are living in a 12 inch cube, which equates to around 7-8 gallons of water.

The trick I found to lowering aggression, is having enough hiding places and blocks in place to give each female somewhere to retreat from the others. My sorority has a combination of fast-growing stems (milfoil), java moss, riccia and some narrow-leaf java fern (soon to be replaced with thin val) to provide cover at all levels of the tank. I change out 25-30% of the water every day, and monitor aggression to ensure none of my females are being singled out for bullying.

If you don't have enough hiding spots your females are going to be so stressed they either completely avoid conflict, or simply tear each other to pieces.

I would recommend purchasing a heater to avoid temperature fluctuations. Water is always a few degrees cooler than room temperature, and a heater with an inbuilt thermostat, will only switch on when it detects the water temperature dipping below the optimum range. Extreme temperature fluctuations can further stress your females, and compromise their immune systems.

Also, you are not doing enough water changes for your stocking levels. I'm assuming that you didn't cycle your tank prior to introducing your females so you really should be doing more frequent and larger water changes.

There should be a zero reading for both ammonia and nitrite, and often during cycling, large water changes are required to maintain this. I would be doing at least 2 or 3 50% water changes a week and testing my water religiously for at least a month. If you don't have a test kit I recommend purchasing the API brand liquid Ammonia and Nitrite tests. These chemicals can and will kill your fish if you let them build up.

I hope that helps some. I'm having fun with my new sorority. It's interesting watching all their little personalities and quirks.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote