Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Hyperactive Male

Maybe I'm just used to my take-it-easy halfmoon but my new veil tail is all over the place in his 2.5g. He rarely seems to stay still. Is this normal for veil tails? I know his water parameters are fine, I changed his water yesterday and I use Stress Coat; I change the water every other day, 100%. He looks like he's trying to find a way out of his tank almost, always swiveling and diving and twisting. At first I thought he was just more active but now I'm worried if he's flashing or darting. He's a Cambodian so I can't see anything on him right now. He eats voraciously, he breathes fine but he's never still. He's got the twitchies. He has a Betta Log, a cave, and several plants in a currently barebottom tank. He can't see my halfmoon most of the time but he HAS seen him in the tank next to his. Could this be playing a part in his antsiness?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #2 
Wyvern

Both my boys are veiltails. They go thru periods of madness (normally when they first see me in the morning, at lunch when I visit them from work and at night). My mum told me they wont dance for her at all. But I have noticed my red boy is very hyperactive even after I stop paying attention to them, he still tries to attract more attention - but then he is my tailbiter so I suspect hes just got ADD :P He's also the one to remodel his own home constantly with his plants. Ive only seen him napping once! He is always investigating and moving and checking things out. I suspect they are just hyper cos they dont have the heavy fins to drag around when swimming.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Oh good. *whew* Thanks, Wyvern, for telling me this. I'm not used to such an energetic guy so it worried me a lot. Now to keep him occupied so he doesn't bite his tail. He's like . . . pacing in the front of his tank watching me because his tank is right by the computer. I feel exhausted just watching him.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #4 
Tisia

most of mine took a bit of time to try and figure out what the weird clear hard stuff blocking their swimming space is before settling in, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #5 
KristinM

Mine is also very active. When i bought him he was in a little square tank with no air or filtration. you know those tiny little tanks the stores keep them in? I figured he was just thrilled to be in a larger environment and have a real home. He has periods of madness as well. other times he is resting easy. and he has no other males to look at or flare up at, he is just swimming freely :) I like that he is active, it proves the age old debate that they dont like being in tiny space. JMHO!
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinM View Post
Mine is also very active. When i bought him he was in a little square tank with no air or filtration. you know those tiny little tanks the stores keep them in? I figured he was just thrilled to be in a larger environment and have a real home. He has periods of madness as well. other times he is resting easy. and he has no other males to look at or flare up at, he is just swimming freely :) I like that he is active, it proves the age old debate that they dont like being in tiny space. JMHO!
It does, doesn't it? Just 'cause they CAN live in a tiny space doesn't mean they like it. Well, he's still all over the place this morning, kind of like a lion pacing back and forth in his cage. He got stuck in a corner behind his betta log last night and I still have no idea how he managed to get there. I hope he slept while I did or else he's got insomnia or something. I'm pretty sure my halfmoon does, I never see him sleep anymore.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
fishman12

lol yeah my veiltail was all over the place up and down the glass. My HM did that too but I think that was cause I was eating in front of him...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
lol yeah my veiltail was all over the place up and down the glass. My HM did that too but I think that was cause I was eating in front of him...
So that's why my bettas looked like they were drooling, even in water, when I was eating my brownie last night at the computer . . . I'd better get something into his tank soon to keep my VT occupied before he tries to jump out through the hole the heater cord goes through.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #9 
KristinM

Mine gets very active when he sees us walk past his tank as well, probably hoping for an extra feed! I found him the other day sleeping behind the filter and i was scared he was stuck but as soon as he noticed me he was up and down again! i have put a small pot in his tank now that he goes into and rests in. who says they dont have personalities hey?! My dog always welcomes me home but so does my Betta! only difference is that he can't sit and wait at the door for me!
KristinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Maybe I drive my VT nuts because his tank is right by the computer so he sees me all the time and thinks "Food!" I don't know. One thing's for sure, he gets plenty of exercise.