Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #1 
Sephy765

New breeder questions.

So i am trying to get into breeding again. I started when I was younger and through some miracle (because i didn't know anything about tank conditions, heaters, filters, etc...) my betas mated. I am trying to learn so that I will be more responsible and successful. Hopefully you guys can answer a couple of questions for me.

1) What kind of filter do you recommend for a 16.5 gallon tank (and how would you reduce the impact on breeding)?

2) What kind of match would you recommend to produce a Half Moon Super Red (possibly king) or a Half Moon Super Black?

Thank you for your time.
Sephy
Sephy765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #2 
HD4life

For a filter I use a submersible corner filter, if it's submersible the bubbles from it don't create a current to disrupt the nest. Red is a dominant color, not hard to breed at all. Black is recessive and both parents need to be black yet sertainly blacks in females make them infertile so you have to be careful when choosing.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry HD, only black melano females are infertile. Black lace and copper based blacks like super black are fertile.

I believe the super red you're talking about is "extended red". Read everything you can find on that. An easy way to produce extended red is breeding a pair of those.

I'm not totally sure about this. Thus far I conclude that super black and the "new" black copper are by products of the black dragon. Super black (I think) is still unstable. You may not get super black by breeding a pair of super black unless they are siblings.
The easiest way to get super black is by breeding a pair of those. But you can also work with a black dragon or black copper. I'm not sure how many generation of selective breeding it will take because they are metallic based. But you don't want the metallic or irrid (dominant) to show.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 
Sephy765

Thanks so much! So im looking for an extended red. Any idea where i might be able to find that?
Sephy765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 
HD4life

Ya I knew that lol it was a typo. Meant to be certain black females, not all.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote