Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1 
Wyvern

Im a proud mum!

Altho I didnt breed the betta's I now have 3 fry :D

I was told they are 3months old, but looking at them they are tiny! About 1/2 a cm (o.2 inches).

Im keeping them in their own heated tank - 80 degrees right?

Some anachris in there. The owners gave me microworms to feed them and told me they do eat crushed granules as well. How can I help these kids grow up a bit faster? I dont have a filter in the tank neither do I have an airstone cos I cant control the airflow so it will be to disruptive. The tank is about 3 gallons, but I only filled it half way. The girls (I hope) are swimming freely tho and are very active considering they just had a 9hour drive.

And tips and advice as to when I do water changes and so forth would be great and when to feed them what.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Are you sure the previous owner said 3 months? 1/2 cm should be about 3 weeks.

Massive daily wc would boost their growth, given that they eat like pigs (belly always full). Worm type of food would make them fat and grow faster compared to shrimp like foods which makes them more .... athletic ... sort of. IMO it's best to give them a balanced diet and let them grow on their own rate.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

No advice but Congrats Mum!! How exciting. Can't wait for pics.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would get them in a bigger tank and start daily 50% water changes on them and improve their nutrition to get good growth....that size at 3 months....they already sound pretty small for their age.......

Nutrition...live is best....but high protein varied diet fed in small frequent meals....

Can you post pics of them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #5 
Wyvern

Lemme try and take a pic of them, will be with my camera phone till my brother comes visiting later.

Ok tank dimensions are 25Lx19hx19w (this is in cms)

Last edited by Wyvern; 06-24-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #6 
Wyvern

There you can see how tiny they are. There is just the three of them OLF and this is unfortunately the biggest container I have to grow them out in for now. If they are girls they will go into a 10gallon tank as soon as they are a bit bigger and the guppies wont think of them as food.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 
Wyvern

Last question = how long should I feed them the microworms?
As well as how often?
Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

So cute and so tiny....I think they will be fine in the 3gal you have them in too....just stay on top of lots of partial water changes and good nutrition...enjoy and watch them grow....

I don't feed microworms...but I am sure someone will be along soon to help you with feeding.....

I like that tank by the way..rimless I need to find me one like that...is it glass......good idea with the plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for their labyrinth.....

Look forward to watching them grow up....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #9 
Wyvern

Hehehe thanks. Managed to measure one of them they are 1cm not half a cm so bigger than I thought. I decided to stop with the microworms. Its very tiny and I suspect that was all they had. I gave them some mysis (almost like baby brine shrimp). And the kids loved it. It was frozen and they attacked it and each ate 2 shrimps. The shrimps are about .75 of an inch.

I will do 50% water changes every day so that i can get rid of any leftover food - altho they have managed to eat everything I gave them so far. They love playing - chasing each other and playing hide and seek with the plants. Im hopeful that I can get them grown :D I will post weekly reports :D

Oh and the tank is a general tank that we get here. We have loads of LPS that makes the tanks in their back rooms - they get the glass cut to size and then they glue it and add the styrofoam on the bottom to protect the glass. We call them custom tanks and basically can get it any size you can dream of. As long as you have a proper stand they are willing to go mad. We have one shop where they have BIG tanks along the middle of the room that basically creates a wall and divides the room in two. I really need to go take pics there.

Last edited by Wyvern; 06-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, they're so cute!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote