Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #11 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I have my bettas in 1gallon tanks until their permanent tanks are ready. I do a 50% water change every other day and a 100% water change once a week. Since your tank is 2.5 gallons, you should probably do 50% and 100% once a week.

I know this thread isn't about the fin rot, but I figured I would mention that you need a water conditioner to remove chlorine from tap water. I noticed you said 'none' for additives added during water changes, so I wanted to warn you if you are using straight tap water. The fin rot is more likely caused by ammonia levels if if you only change the water every other week. But, I wanted to toss both ideas out there. :)

I have a heater in my acrylic tanks and nothing has melted yet. As long as the watts aren't through the roof you should be fine. Mine is about 10watts, so I wouldn't go above 15 watts for a 2.5 gallon.

I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for responding! I totally forgot to add the water conditioner I use. Don't worry, I read up about water conditioners and have been using them from day one. I use Prime water conditioner. Let me see if I can edit that.

As for the heater, when I do get one, where exactly would I put it? Would I hide it under the rocks?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #12 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishRule View Post
It could be a tumor or a parasite try putting aquariam salt in the tank if its a parasite it will kill it but if its a tumor then he might die
Thank you for responding. I've never used aquarium salt before, so I wanted to ask if there are different types? If so, which should I use and about how much?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #13 
BettaFishRule

i dont think there are diffrent types but follow the intrustions on the back
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #14 
newbie32

Heaters typically come with a suction cup to attach to the walls. My heater says to make sure the gravel or substrate, decorations and plants (real or fake) are not touching the heater. Mine sits in the back along the wall part way up from the bottom. Then you need to put the thermometer opposite of where you put your heater. Some people put the heater verticle along a corner in the back to try and hide it. That's a personal preference thing.

You can also use ice cream salt for the salt treatment.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #15 
BettaFishRule

Ohh ice cream salt i dont think that would work but i guess its a subsitute for Auqarium sal

Last edited by BettaFishRule; 06-24-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling error
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

Husbandry wise, you need to increase water changes to one 50% and one 100% water change per week and he needs a heater.

As for his lump, it isn't dropsy. It is possible that he is constipated, however, since it is only on one side, IMO it is a tumor. There doesn't appear to be any discoloration around the lump so I wouldn't jump to treating him for parasites.

There is no treatment for tumors but there are a few things you should do just in case... One, stop the bettafix, it's pretty much useless. Second, treat him with 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt (NOT aquarium salt, you will find it in the pharmacy section of Walmart) just in case he is constipated. Lastly, you need to make him feel comfortable. A betta with a compromised immune system will lose the battle against illnesses much faster. There are a number of things you can do to make him less stressed but the most important thing is get him a heater.

Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #17 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Husbandry wise, you need to increase water changes to one 50% and one 100% water change per week and he needs a heater.

As for his lump, it isn't dropsy. It is possible that he is constipated, however, since it is only on one side, IMO it is a tumor. There doesn't appear to be any discoloration around the lump so I wouldn't jump to treating him for parasites.

There is no treatment for tumors but there are a few things you should do just in case... One, stop the bettafix, it's pretty much useless. Second, treat him with 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt (NOT aquarium salt, you will find it in the pharmacy section of Walmart) just in case he is constipated. Lastly, you need to make him feel comfortable. A betta with a compromised immune system will lose the battle against illnesses much faster. There are a number of things you can do to make him less stressed but the most important thing is get him a heater.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you for responding. I'm hoping it's not a parasite or tumor. I'll go ahead and try the Epsom Salt then to first see if he's constipated. That wouldn't surprise me. My grandmother likes to feed him a lot.

If there is discoloration, then are you saying it could be parasites? I've looked up info. on external and internal parasites but he's not showing symptoms of either so far.

I'm starting to fear though that it's a tumor. I've been reading about them and betta owners claimed that their fish had the same symptoms as mine. I hope not though because there's nothing really I could do about a tumor.

I'll just keep my eye on it, try the epsom salt, and hope it's not a tumor. Thanks for your advice! I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

If there is discoloration then it could be an enlarging tumor, an abscess or parasites. It would more likely be an abscess or tumor though. There aren't many parasites that present this way...

Fish can survive some time with a tumor if you keep their homes in tip top condition. I truly hope it is just constipation. Good luck!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #19 
Indyfishy

I sincerely hope that your fish doesn't have a tumor, and that he gets better with AQ salt! But that lump does look alot like a tumor One of my fish has one, and it looked just like that in the beginning.
Here's a photo, though I'm not sure it will show up:
That lump behind his pectoral fin is the tumor =/ When it showed up he started getting those colorless patches on his fins.

Hopefully your buddy just has a case of bloat!!!! He's so beautiful, what a lovely shade of royal blue!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #20 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
I sincerely hope that your fish doesn't have a tumor, and that he gets better with AQ salt! But that lump does look alot like a tumor One of my fish has one, and it looked just like that in the beginning.
Here's a photo, though I'm not sure it will show up:
That lump behind his pectoral fin is the tumor =/ When it showed up he started getting those colorless patches on his fins.

Hopefully your buddy just has a case of bloat!!!! He's so beautiful, what a lovely shade of royal blue!!
Thank you very much for responding, your lovely comments about Thunder, and for even posting pictures. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear about your betta. He's a very beautiful shade of blue too! Both their lumps look very similar. I'm hoping that it's not a tumor, but I feel better because I now have at least an idea of what it might be. Your photos have been very helpful.

I bought him the epsom salt, so I'll give it a try today. I hear though that betta fish with tumors can still live with the tumor for longer than expected. I'll keep everyone posted on Thunder if I see any changes. Thanks again!