Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
lemonpebbles

Ammonia poisoning- what should I get?

Lately, I've noticed some symptoms of ammonia poisoning in my brother's fish like how he's beginning to turn red around the gills and constantly going to the surface for air, but he still swims around being curious. So since we couldn't get supplies until today, we've been doing a 50% water change almost every other day this whole week. Today, we're going to the pet store to get him a filter and heater and give him a 100% water change, but what can I get to help his ammonia poisoning and how do I use it? (He also lives in a 2.75 gallon we use dechlorinator)

Last edited by lemonpebbles; 06-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 
newbie32

I'm not sure there is a cure for the ammonia burns. I'm not sure though. I think the regular water changes is the best you can do. You might want to get a water test kit. I have one from API for ammonia. I use fairly regularly to make sure I'm not hurting my fish.

You may want to PM Old Fish Lady if no one responds to this question. She might know if there is some sort of cure for the ammonia burn. Perhaps aquarium salt or tannins. I really don't know. I wish I could be more help!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #3 
masshiimarro

i know that some AQ salt would help. it soothes their gills. other than clean water, there really isnt much you can do, except wait for it to heal over. depending on the damage its done to the gills the fish could potentially end up with scarred gills, and you may see it breathe more often at the surface rather than getting oxygen through water. its not to say that he isnt gonna have an aweseome life, however, since he IS a labyrinth fish.. i have one fish that had ammonia burns due to petsmart care, and since hes healed hes always breathing slightly harder than the other one. BUT, hes a happy little fish, so eager to get his noms. :) hope this helps.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #4 
Sakura8

You'll want to use aquarium salt. Do you have live plants in your tank? If not, you can treat your brother's fish right in the tank. Take a bit of tank water and dissolve 2 1/2 tsps of aquarium salt, then pour that into the tank. Change 100% of the water every day and keep adding the salt for 5 days. If you don't see any improvement, continue adding salt for another 5 days.

If you do have live plants or to make it easier, you can treat the fish in a smaller QT tank, such as the cup he came in from the pet store or even a barebottom 1g fishbowl. Just be sure it's heated. Same deal, it's 1 tsp per gallon. If you treat the fish in a small cup, then get a 1g jug and make up the salt mixture and pour some into the cup. Float it in his tank so he stays warm.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

^+1

To help the soft tissue in his gills recover you can add API Stress Coat or Kordon's Fish Protector. Do NOT use Ammonia removing chemicals, just keep up on your water changes. Also, don't use salt for more than 10 days. Is his tank heated?

Hope he feels better soon :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 
lemonpebbles

I got him a new filter and he seems to be doing better! We couldn't get a heater for him (couldn't find any for a small tank) but now we keep him in the warmest room in the house. We gave him a 100% water change but the petshop was out of aquarium salts D: But I'm curious, what would've happened if I had used Ammonia removing chemicals?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Ammonia removing chemical don't really remove ammonia at all. Instead they bind it to a different chemical, turning it into ammonium which is less toxic to fish but still not good for them and potentially deadly in large quantities. This can be misleading because you think you have no ammonia but in reality, it's still building up, just in a different form.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #8 
lemonpebbles

Ah, thanks! My friend actually recommended this site to me if my fish were to have any problems when I first got my betta and her words have proven true! After we got him a new filter he's more active (although he still hasn't eaten, but I've heard it's normal for new fish) and seems to look better healthier all together! Thank you guys so much!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 
Sakura8

You're welcome, we're always glad to help a betta and a betta owner in need. I feel like leaving little business cards tucked next to all the betta cups at pet stores. The owners all seem to end up here anyway because of the lousy advice pet store employees give them.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #10 
lemonpebbles

Agreed! On my last trip to the petco I saw an employee recommending a teeny gallon tank with a divider to a mom with her two kids who wanted bettas! I would've told the family that the tank was too small for one betta, let alone two but they wouldn't have taken me seriously on the fact that I'm just a high schooler....