Welcome to the forum and the exciting betta world!
Be warned, its a dangerous....jokes, nah, its just addicting! I started with 2 now have 10 plus family members have them now as well!
Start off by reading these:
And depending on your tank size, and if you have a filter, you may want to cycle your tank. Read about that here:
Few quick tidbits of info:
- Bettas are tropical, so they need heaters (unless you live in very warm climate). They prefer temps are 76* - 84*.
- General rule is bettas need at least 1 gallon, but 2.5 is the reccomended tank size
- Male bettas can't be housed together. Female and males can't be housed together. Females should only be housed together in a tank belonging to a experienced betta owner. (Tanks that are divided are allowed though)
- Bettas are aggressive, so if you want tankmates really do research about what fish you think go with bettas, you'd be surprised by what SHOULDN'T go with a betta.
- Bettas are carnivores. They can't survive off of plants. They should be fed pellets or flakes (pellets are reccomended) as their staple diet, along with treats such as bloodworms.
Good luck with your betta, and if you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask them!