Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #1 
Tsuhei

Unhappy UGH! My heart!!

So I was walking through Walmart last night..needed to get some snacks and whatnot...and decided to take a look at the fish section.

My heart sank.

I saw a bunch of bettas in small dirty cups..and to my surprise, a full crowntail BLACK ORCHID! I hesitated, knowing that if I bought him, that I'd be supporting Walmart. Before I could make my decision, two rambunctious little girls started running shouting "FISHIIIIIES!"; "I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR X-MAS!! IM GONNA ASK FOR A BETTA!"

I grit my teeth, watching the two little snots grab the fish, then proceeding to SHAKE the containers. SHAKE. I knew the first one they grabbed too was the black orchid. I wanted to snatch that container from their grubby little hands.

Not wanting an assault lawsuit pressed against me by their ignorant parents, I painfully walked away. I want to go back and see if the little guy is still there or alive. What do I do?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2 
eclover09

Ugh, little people >< I would have snatched it from her, but then again I have lots of nieces, so I'm used of saying "NO DON'T DO THAT!" And taking things from children lol.

If it was a legit black orchid, I would go back and see if he's there and get him. I never see fish like that at the walmarts around my house, that would be a absolute dream.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
demonicangel132007

I just now realized that the Bettas in my Wal-Mart are kind of hidden, and are kept way up out of the reach of children but that doesn't help the other fish. I almost screamed at a little kid one night a couple of weeks ago because he decided he was going to tap on the glass in front of his parents. If my brother hadn't dragged me away (he's bigger & stronger than me) I would have. Where were the parents when the little girls did that I wonder?
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #4 
JKfish

Luckily, I have never, ever seen a child or adult shake a betta cup. If I ever see such a thing, I think I'd lose it.... or probably just snatch it from their hands and try to explain without yelling that that isn't good.

I say go back for a look, and possibly get the little guy if you have time, space and a proper set up for him
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 
Tsuhei

I do have a 1.5 gallon tank and a small 1 gallon hospital tank available, and I have enough space for two more fish if I really, really wanted to. I'm just hesitant to get him because I'm not sure how hard it is to care for a crowntail and the fact that I'm obsessed with plakats.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 
JKfish

Crowntail care is just the same as any other betta, though their rays tend to curl in harder water... but that only bugs the owner, I doubt they really care if their fins are a bit curly. :)
Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

THOSE LITTLE BRATS!!

I went back to check on him. Possibly buy him. He's dead. The little monsters KILLED him. I honestly HATE kids that do that crap! I hope those kids don't get any pets for Christmas!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #8 
Miharu
Banned

Poor thing!! Go back and see!! If it was me I would have stayed there until the kids left, and if the ct was still there, I would have grabbed him and ran! Haha

I used to work in the pet section of a wal-mart (about 3 years ago) and I can't tell you how many times I would get to work only to find 2 or 3 male bettas in one cup, or a bowl in the sink with a bunch of male bettas dumped into it!

edit: Whoops nevermind! Poor guy!! Thats so sad!
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #9 
demonicangel132007

People wonder why I prefer animals to humans. Poor little guy.
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #10 
JKfish

>.< Those little brats. Honestly, I can't believe their parents would them them shake a cup with a living animal in it! I'm willing to bet the parents would have had a cow if they'd done that to a box with kittens in it, but a fish... no it's just a fish!

Ugh, I'm sorry Tsuhie. :( Poor crowntail.