Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Quick Question

Vincent (my betta) hasn't been doing so well these last couple days. He's very old, and he has a tumor, and I think he's going to pass away in a few days. I really need to do a water change, but I'm afraid that doing taking him out of his tank to do a 100% water change will stress him and kill him. The only thing i have that's big enough to do a 50-75% water change is a gallon pitcher that we sometimes use for drinking water.
So, basically I'm asking,
1.)Is betta water conditioner is harmful to humans?
2.) Will it be fine to use it if I wash the pitcher out really well before and afterwards and then put it in the dishwasher??

I'm NOT going to put the dirty fishwater in the pitcher, i have a small glad-ware container that i use to scoop it out (used for water changes only). I don't have anything else big enough to put the new conditioned water in before i put it in the tank, so i hope its safe to use it .
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I'm sorry to hear Vincent isn't doing well but it sounds like he has had a good long life with you.

I'm not sure if water conditioner is toxic to humans. Offhand, I'd like to say no but I can't be certain. However, I do think if you rinse it well and put it through the dishwasher maybe even twice, you'll be all right. Ideally, though, I'd suggest you get a gallon of spring water at the grocery store and then save that gallon jug for future use.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Thank you soooo much for your reply!!!!! I didn't think about using a disposable gallon jug, i might actually have one of those around here somewhere =D thank you so much for the idea!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #4 
Sakura8

You're welcome. They're very handy to have around.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

I don't have a spring water jug, but I do have a milk jug. If i rinse it out with scalding hot water several times, will that be safe??? I'm so scared of hurting him, he's so feeble =(
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think that should work fine. Poor guy, getting old is tough. But you're taking such good care of him, I know he appreciates it.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Awww thank you, i appreciate your responses so much! It's really tough watching him waste away, he was always so beautiful and healthy. I'll miss him sooo much.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yup, the hardest part of a sick betta is when there's nothing you can do but watch. :( How long have you had him? That's him in your avatar, isn't it? He does look very beautiful with such unique coloring.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Mhm that's him!!! Thank you, I also think he's a beauty =D I've had him for more than two years, and I think he was close to a year old when I bought him. The betta in your avatar is gorgeous too, I love his butterfly pattern!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I've never seen such a unique coloring on a betta, that grizzled look. It's so neat. I hope Vincent's passing is peaceful and pain-free. I'm sorry you'll lose him. That's the sad part about bettas, that short lifespan.

Thanks. That's my Sherman, my first betta (four more followed in the span of two months). He's such a show-off, he poses for the camera while the rest of them hide.