Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #1 
M00n

First Time Breeding question

I introduced my Black Plaket Male to my breeding tank ( a large sweater bin with 5 inches of water, heavily planted, lots of hiding spots) for about a week. I put the girl in a a clear container in his enclosure for a few hours. The entire time she was very set on escaping out of the cup. After about 3 hours i released her.

The pair danced and chased with very little aggression for another 3 hours. Then they seemed very uninterested in one another. I left them over night and they were happily ignoring each other the next morning. I returned home from work 8 hours later and the male had a decent bubble nest he was fiercely guarding (even attacking pieces of floating plant that came his way). The female was trying to hide in a plant, so I removed her. He guarded his nest well throughout the night.

When I checked him this morning, it seems like he has dismantled part of the nest, but it still looks ok.

Do you think there are eggs or should I try to reintroduce the girl? She has a few small tears in her fins that I am treating with a medicated bath, but overall she seems happy.

Any info would be great!!!
M00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 
Betty

Hi m00n, if you leave the bubble nest for a couple of days you will find out if the eggs are in there, if not then try again but it is definitely better for the female to be able to rest for a few days as she may get over stressed and die if you reintroduce them too soon, another thing is that if you put the female back in too soon and there are eggs in the nest the female may start to eat them and then you would have to go through the whole breeding process again and that would not be good for anyone!!!if there are no eggs then when you put fish together again it would be better to do it at a time when you can watch over them because it can turn nasty and a dead female would be no good.

Hope this helped and that your breeding was successful, let us know what happens over the next few days!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Moon- You could also look inside the nest from underneath it (if possible) to check for eggs. They stand out from the bubbles (they look like the color of rice) and are usually clumped together. Hope that helps!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If he is guarding/tending the nest and looks to be mouthing something under the nest...you most likely have eggs....look closely and you might see eggs drop and depending on water temp= in 24-32h you should be able to see tiny tails hanging and little wigglers bouncing around and the male chasing, gathering and placing them back in the nest......and then in another 2-3 days some of the wiggles will start the free swimming stage...darting all over the tank and with the live plants they will be hunting and eating the microorganism/infusoria produced......

Eggs don't all hatch at the same time...you can have varied degrees of growth and development in the fry...since eggs are not dropped at the same time...some can vary in age/size....... an hour difference of age in the fish world can be a big difference......

If it was a failed spawn.....he usually will leave the nest site only occasionally working/tending.....

If both had been properly pre-conditioned....generally the female will be ready to spawn again in 3 days...this is for a healthy well conditioned breeding age female.....

What kind of cultures do you have ready for fry food.....

Look forward to pic......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #5 
M00n

Hello
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful advice. I am hopeful that the nest has at least a few eggs as he will not leave it and is working hard at tending it. I will keep updating and post pics soon. Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #6 
M00n

I have brine shrimp eggs that are ready to go as soon as I need them.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #7 
M00n

We got Babies!!!!

Name:  Betta fished breeder Black Plakat.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  37.9 KB
This is by Breeding Bin. Dad & babies are under the styro cup.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #8 
M00n

We Have Babies

Name:  Betta Cup.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  39.7 KB
This is the underside of cup, top of the nest. 6/21/2011 Dad was very busy picking eggs up off the ground and putting them in the nest.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #9 
M00n

Finally Babies

Name:  Dad with babies.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  46.1 KB
So, today I check on dad and to my surprise, he is tending a large brood of little fry. I was soo excited. He seems to be doing a good job.

The bubble nest is very small and tattered. When should I remove the male???

Thanks for all the wonderful advice.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #10 
M00n

I haven't started the brine shrimp yet, I will do it tonight, anyone have any advice on feeding them in the meantime?