Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Think I want to get Mice

I've wanted some sort of fuzzy for years but lately (in the past 2 months or so) I've been seriously considering getting a mouse or mice. I've been researching care and husbandry for a few weeks now and I feel like fancy mice would be a good fit for me but I was looking for opinions from others who have kept mice, or other fuzzies in general as well as advice.

The main reason for mice (over rats or hamsters) is their size. I won't need a huge cage for them, from what I've been reading a 10 gallon aquarium could possibly comfortably hold 2 or even 3 mice (although I'm not sure I want to start out with that many). I also couldn't have a rat because they're happiest in groups and guinea pigs because they can be loud (not to mention need big cages).

I would have to buy a wire lid for one of my tanks but an aquarium seems to be the most preferred method of housing them over wire cages. I've been thinking of ways I could build it up so the mouse (or mice) would have vertical space to explore as well as horizontal.

So would anyone like to share ideas, tips, etc... or talk me out of it all together.

One of my questions is (because I've kinda heard conflicting info) can mice be happy if living alone? I really only want one mouse (preferably female) but I wouldn't want her to be lonely or bored.

I'm also having an ethical dilemma. I've been looking locally for mice but not really finding anything. Petsmart or Petsupermarket seems to be the only place to find pet mice. My petsmart takes very good care of their animals but I don't know if I feel right supporting their selling fuzzies since I don't really know what kinds of situations they come from (mousey puppy mills?).

I saw the prettiest grey and white female today while I was pricing the food, bedding, toys, etc. It was very hard not to come home with her and a cart full of mousey house things but I want to have the habitat fully ready before bringing the mouse home.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
xMandy

Have you ever seen gerbils? I own 8 (with more possibly on the way) and can say they're the funniest little things! If you get from a pet store it would be supporting the mills.
I've always owned rodents (currently gerbils and chinchillas) and can honestly say you're better off online shopping. You can find nice things in store..but housing of course an aquarium..no plastic toys..you may have to make your own food mix as the store bought ones always lack something..
The toys are nice but don't say what kind of wood it's made of..petsmart and petco are like plastic toy heck.. Which isn't good. If you did get one I'd just ignore what the people try to tell you as 99% of the time it's wrong.
Mice and such are going to need more than one. I'd say at least 2 of the same gender (introduced correctly if they didn't come from the same tank)
Also check to make sure they are the genders they say they are. Can't tell you how many times they mess that up.
I'm a member of the American gerbil society (I promise my methods are safe-living for these little fuzz butts) so if you do need any help (most mice and gerbil care are similar) feel free to ask..:)
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I decided to get the mice I saw at petsmart. I know it's wrong to support mills but after researching and emailing breeders (yes, I went that far) there is just no way I would be able to get ethically bred mice locally. Not going to try to make it seem like I was "sympathy buying" or "rescuing"... it is what it is.

I got two females (definitely female) that were in the same tank so I know they already get along.

Right now they're going to be on the store bought food but I'm going to look into making my own food and I'll also go online and find them better toys, etc.

I would like tips on handling them. I know I should give them a few days to settle in but what is the best way to get them used to my hand being in the cage and picking them up?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 
xMandy

I normally just let them sniff my hand the first few days. Scooping them up is the best way to get them out. The first day they're with you don't handle them or go near the cage. Put them in a dark room or a blanket over the cage and let them settle in for 24-48 hours. This let's them really move to a new home with no stress. If you have to feed or change wTer during this time be very still and silent so you don't scare them.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 
xMandy

Oh and don't feel bad about getting them from petsmart. I got my gerbils and my 1st chinchilla from petsmart. Once I held my chin that was it..a few days later I went and got her..I really loved her! (now she's spoiled.)
Old 06-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Right now they're on a bookshelf in the far corner. Its dark in the room right now because I'm avoiding running the electricity XD I put food in both food bowls and the water bottle should hold enough water to keep them happy for two days so they'll have plenty of time to chill out and settle in.

I need to get a better wheel for them. The one I bought is crap and hardly spins so I'm going to go buy them the one they had in the tank.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #7 
xMandy

I have a grate-ground yellow wheel. It's been running strong for a while. Most people don't like the it cause of the toes getting caught..but honestly ive never had a problem. The plastic ones are crap.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

That's what they had in the tank and I got a solid one because that's what everyone recommends. I'm going with the grate one. The little grey girl was running on it like a champ so I don't think toes will be an issue.

I can hear them moving around.. sounds like they're nibbling on their food so hopefully that's a good sign
Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
xMandy

Eatings always a good thing. :P
Stock on toilet paper rolls. They love them and will go through one in no time. TP is nice as they can make a nest. (also using Eco paper shred is good as they can double to triple the amount in there..my gerbils do.)
Ive heard of wood and carefresh as being dusty and causing health issues.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I bought the aspen bedding because that's what seemed most popular with the research I did and I was kind of sketchy on the other beddings they had (they were low on stock anyways). I think once the aspen runs out I'm going to go with paper.

I already have a stack of TP rolls because I knew I was going to be getting my mice eventually so they should have fun for a while. Maybe I'll buy some cheap toilet paper and allow them to shred the roll