Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #1 
thatgirl

help! HELP!!

I posted about Doyle a few days ago and I have a few questions...

He cant really swim anymore. :( he is ALWAYS vertical. What does that mean???

He had clear/white stringy poop coming from him today, and it is long. What is it? What does it mean???

My niece fed him like 20 pellets a few weeks ago and I got as many of them out as I could. Could he be ultra constipated?? he has pooped since then though. :/

In the case that it is parasites, I've read about soaking his food in garlic. Can someone tell me more about that.

thanks
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

Oh goodness!!!! I'm so sorry about your poor boy, what a horrible thing you've been going through with him!!! The always swimming vertically thing is really strange. My only guess is that permanent damage could have been done to his swim bladder when he was fed all those pellets =(. How long has it been since he last ate??? Parasites can cause white poop, but white poop can also happen when a betta hasn't eaten anything in awhile. Soaking the pellets in garlic will help get rid of the parasites. You can also purchase medicated pellets that will treat the parasites (i think they're from Jungle?) There's a sticky that darkmoon17 posted that can tell you how to treat internal parasites better than i can! I hope your boy gets to feeling better!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi thatgirl, it sounds like Doyle has parasites and severe swimbladder disease. If he is vertical, I'm afraid things don't look so good. :( For now, get him into a QT container like a small cup or the cup he came in from the pet store. Lower the water level so he can breathe from the surface. In a one gallon container, mix one gallon of dechlorinated water and 2 tsp of aquarium salt. Put some of this in his container. He needs to stay warm so if you can float him in his tank, that would be good.

If he makes it through the night, get Maracyn and, if you can find it, Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If you can't find the pellets, get General Cure and begin treatment with those.

I'm sorry, I hope he makes it. Hang in there!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #4 
thatgirl

He didn't make it through the night. :'( thank everyone for their help and advice. What make me the saddest is that I got him five months ago to rescue him and it seems like I might have done more harm then good, and I have a video of him just a week ago where he was swimming around and seemed fine. :(
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5 
fishman12

I'm sorry
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, thatgirl, but don't blame yourself. He may have been sick to begin with from the pet store. You gave him five months of care and I'm sure he knew how much you loved him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote