Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 
lemonpebbles

black speck on gill?

Ever since I got Uno, he has refused to eat (it's been 3 weeks) so I've got him a filter and a heater to make him more comfy. Just now as I was trying to get him to eat, I notice a black speck on his gill that wasn't there before! (The puffy part of the gill that goes in out, not the outside flap part) He seems to be acting fine besides not eating and greets me and all. (He lives in a 2.75 gallon tank if that helps any. I also give him 100% water changes every week) He sometimes pulls this little number where he "coughs" and lots of bubbles come out his mouth and gills which I figure is because of the speck, so what do I do for my fishie???
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Sounds like Uno has something caught in his gill. From what you are describing, I think it may just be dirt or something because gill flukes, the other obvious suspect for gill troubles, are invisible to the naked eye. He could also have a small ammonia burn there or even a benign tumor. Can you get a clear picture of it?

What have you tried to get Uno to eat and how does he behave at feeding time? I mean, does he try to eat the food and then give up, or does he show no interest at all?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #3 
lemonpebbles

No, it's too small to see on camera and you only see it when he exhales. I've tried to get him to eat betta flakes, pellets, and frozen brine shrimp. He doesn't completely ignore it, he sees it floating, then loses interest and swims away D:But every time I see him, hes swims at me wiggling and chomping, but I'm not sure whether he's asking me for food or just gasping (he has ammonia burns) I've been told that maybe he's just having a tough time getting adjusted (he's been through temperature shock AND ammonia poisoning so I wouldn't be surprised, I feel like a bad fish momma ._.) and they said he'd eat when the time's right. I'm just really worried now because it's been way past 2 weeks

Last edited by lemonpebbles; 07-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Yeah, not good. He's going to have to eat soon. I wonder if the thing on his gill is somehow preventing him from eating.

You've tried all the old tricks for food like crushing the pellets and soaking them in garlic juice? Try frozen bloodworms. What brands of food are you trying?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #5 
lemonpebbles

Yup, I've tried the pellets soaked in garlic juice too. He's only eaten one flake the entire time I've had him (i remember putting a pinch on his water and they all fell, he only bothered to catch one though and let the rest fall) and I'm using bettamin for the flakes and pellets
Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #6 
Sakura8

See if you can find Omega One Betta Buffet pellets or flakes, OR New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. A higher quality food with more fish meal may get his taste buds going.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #7 
lemonpebbles

Got it, but if I can't find those, should I just try bloodworms? I've also been told he might just be shy, but I'm afraid to leave food on his water for a long time because his tank is small D: Should I do that?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, try bloodworms if you can't find those. Also, it is true he may be shy. The next time you feed, put the pellet in and then step away from the tank, like across the room. You'll be able to kind of see what he does but he won't feel like there is a predator hovering over him so he's afraid to go to the food. If he eats that way, you can gradually decrease the distance until he'll eat with you right by the tank.

Another thing to try if you have other bettas is to put him within sight of one while you feed him. He may feel threatened and eat the pellets just so the "rival" betta doesn't get to them. You can also try this with a mirror if Uno is your only betta.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #9 
lemonpebbles

Ah, alrighty then :) I guess since I'm always really close to im while I drop the food in makes him nervous, lol. Thanks for all the help! :D
Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #10 
Sakura8

No problem. Keep us posted!