Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
bettafish15

Exclamation Oh no!!

So, I finally got my two aquarium hoods in the mail for the 10g's. I'm happy about that, for sure, but it pointed something out.

One of the tanks is bowing in the back. D: Not a whole lot, not even a CM, but it is there. I was using a metal screen reptile tank hood before I got my real hood for the one 10g, and it always seemed a tight fit whenever I put/took it on/off. As if it was holding the top of the tank together... the screen lid is off the tank now since the new hood is on.

So with this bowing, should I be seriously worried? I cant just go out and buy another 10g, I live hours away from the city and I (*coughmymomcough*) have no money anyway to go buy another 10g. Is it something that is normal even? Will the tank last as long as it should? I'm really paranoid now D:

So anyway, I took a pic.

See how it's spacier in the middle? and if you push on the rim, it gives a bit. D:

The whole tank, for those who came for pics:

Any advice is appreciated ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

i would be very worried about that tank ....which sucks b/c you can't go get another.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #3 
TonyK

I never even heard of that before. Can you put something with a straight edge (ruler or a level) along the back to make sure it is bowing? I wouldn't think a 10 gallon filled with water would exert that much pressure on the sides.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
bettafish15

It's not bowing enough for something straight to make it obvious... but yeah, the tank was second hand, which is why I had to buy a hood separate for it. It seems the other tank has it just a little bit too. :/ One is on my wooden nightstand, the other on my tall wooden dresser.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 
TonyK

Is it possible just the plastic trim is bowing and not the glass. I've seen the seems of tanks give but never the middle of a piece of glass.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

If it was a reptile tank instead of a fish tank it may be thinner glass. Most reptile "tanks" are made with a thinner glass...Atleast the bigger tanks are...I am not sure about the 10 gallons...It would be sort of concerning to me....I would keep an eye on it..If it starts to bow anymore I would get another 10g empty tank.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 
elijahfeathers

Honestly I just lookde at my 10 gallon and it's similar. I can push the rim in and it seems to me like the whole glass flexes. The tank seems sturdy though, no leaks and the sealing all seems fine. My gap isn't as large as yours, but it's similar.

Just wanted to add that a quick googling shows that people have 10 gallons that bow. Glass is a slightly flexible material (ever picked up a long mirror? Notice it bends a little without breaking?) I don't think you should panic unless it become very severe.

Last edited by elijahfeathers; 06-25-2011 at 02:07 PM.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Ohh okay, that makes me feel better then. It was not a reptile tank, I just used a reptile lid because at the store they had no 10g hoods. I got the tank second hand from someone who had it filled with guppies. ^^

LOL @ mods changing my title, I guess it was still offensive :P sorry.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

i'd still be ready with a spare smaller tank (whatever! even plastic storage containers lol) just in case. now im curious if mine do this ...
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #10 
bettafish15

Yeah, I'd be curious to know if others' do it. I have a spare 1g kritter keeper that would work should such an event occur *knock on wood* and also other containers down here in different sizes for water changes. ^^ It if did burst, I'm so lucky that I'm downstairs. But my room carpet floor is raised a few inches above the rest of the downstairs on wooden pieces, so we'd have to somehow tear all of it out to get to the water. @.@ Gah!