Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
Loryen

Your First Betta: A Story

Well, I thought it would be cool to start a thread of pics and stories about our first bettas

I'll start:

Name: Kenji
Color: Multi-Colored
Tail Type: Crown-Tail
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 10 years old
Personality:

Kenji was, in my eyes, the perfect betta. He was so amazingly beutiful, but not to the point of just being flashy. He was so agressive he would flare at you if you even looked at him. He ate like a pig. He had the funniest, most expressive face ever. I knew nothing about bettas at the time, but even I could tell that he was special.

Age When Betta Died (If Dead)- 2.5 years old
Reason (If dead)- My mom unplugged his heater accidently, thinking it was another plug, and he stayed in freezing cold water all night (it was winter in Canada). In the morning, he was lying on the gravel, half-dead. He survived that night, but for about a month he lay, half-dead, not able to eat or get to the surface to breath. He died on December 28th, 3 days away from Christmas. When he died, I was happy that he had lived to see Christmas one last time.

Picture: Couldn't figure out how to post a pic, but he's the one in my icon and signature.
Loryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 
Jessabell

Wink Zues.

Name: Zues
Tail Type: Crown-Tail
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 15 or 16(around my birthday so idk lol.)
Personality: Very out there. He always chased me when I walked by, and was so fierce!

Zues was amazing. I got him at Meijer! I dragged my boyfriend with me because I decided that he was gonna get one too! So I'm happy I know he was planned. I had him for a little more than a year. I loved him so much. I moved about four months ago, and I had to transfer him in a vase. Sadly, my tank for him cracked, and he was in the vase for a while because I didn't have money for a new one. Then one day, I came home and he was gone. My dad got rid of him! And by that, I mean killed. I was so angry.

But it's amazing how much a simple fish can impact your life.
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 
Loryen

Aw, what a nice story (except for the part with your dad ) Zues sounds and looks like my Kenji :)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #4 
xMandy

Name: Gus
Color: red/blue
Tail Type: v/t
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 13?
Personality: Really laid back..

Age When Betta Died (If Dead)-2.5-3years?
Reason (If dead)- We tried to see if he could live in the 40g tank. He stressed out and died. (Yeah..we felt like CRAP)

I got Gus after we went through hurricane Gustav (Gus/gustav..see?) He was our way of celebrating the ending of that.

I had to stay with my dad because the power lines were falling around our neighbor hood and trapping everyone in. (In Louisiana..above new orleans)
I saw my dad had a betta at the time and I fell in love with it! I called my mom once the hurricane had passed (this was actually after it hit when everyone was locating one another..the storm was just fading off)
and asked if I could get one. My dad took me and I picked him out that evening. Then a few years back we decided to move to northern KY and I held Gus in his bowl the entire time (yeah. I never thought about doing it different) by the time we got to KY Gus had about 1 inch of water left from all that swishing..and it was all over the back seat. oops!)

He was a really special boy. :)
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 
kathstew

None of my bettas have died yet, and I have 8, so I'll just post my first two.

Name: Drama Queen
Tail Type: Veiltail
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 15 years old
Personality: Exactly her name, a Drama Queen. She's a little spazz. She freaks out at EVERYTHING. Especially if you pay attention to one of the other bettas in her sorority tank. She likes to flare at everything that's new, and thinks she's really tough, but really she is the girl that got beat up the most when the sorority first started, because she wouldn't give up. She's also a scaredy-cat in ways. She's scared of the net, because she knows it means water change, and one time she had a water change, and I didn't put a lid on her cup, she jumped out, and laid on the floor for 15 minutes before I found her!
She is still alive and kicking ;)
Picture:

Name: Ocean
Tail Type: Veiltail or Plakat, not sure, but leaning to veiltail
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 15 years old
Personality: Little butthead. :P She used to be my "baby" the sweet innoncent one, she must have taken some lessons from Drama Queen though, cause now she is the alpha of my sorority. She doesn't fight much, and loves attention. She likes it when I put my hand in the tank, in a cup shape so she can sit in my hand! She is not scared at ALL, will go up to EVERYTHING.
Picture:

These two started my WHOLE obsession :P
I got them both at the same time when I was told by a stupid petsmart employee you can house two female bettas together in a ONE GALLON TANK! >_> I did some research, realized why they were flaring all the time, and then separeted them. Few months later I know have a sorority (6 girls), 4 boys, two gouramis, and my mom and sister have bettas now too! :P
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #6 
russalka

Name: Skye
Color: Multi (red and blue but looks purple and red in in the light sometimes)
Tail Type: Veiltail
How old I was when I got him: 46
Personality: Very friendly - That's how I picked him last February.

Still alive.

I had a large (75 gallon) goldfish tank for three months when I saw the bettas. My supervisor had a betta in a largish vase on her desk for 2 years, and I thought I have a 1 gallon quarentine tank and a spare bubbler. I'll just need to get a heater, thermometer, etc.... How hard can it be?

After 1 week of testing for ammonia and doing daily water changes, discovering this web site and thinking about needing to have someone do frequent water changes when I went on vacation, I upgraded him to a 5.5 gallon tank.
Attached Images

russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #7 
Jessabell

Lol, I noticed that myself :D
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
Abby

i like this idea. ive had betas before these but never more then "fish" these ones are my kidlets :)

Name: Dastan (see avatar)
Tail Type: VT
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 22
Personality: awesome!

Dman was my first i got him early jan, he died by april may he had issue after issue.

i bought him after seeing betas in a store up the coast but wanted to be more prepared. i bought Dastan and named him before i got him (i had watched Prince of Persia) and that was it. he was my frist of the year.
but one is never enough and soon i found Nero a red cambodian 4 ray ct, then three more to add, one girl i called Tamina (RIP) One multi butterfly vt i called Melvin and one blue and white vt butterfly Benny. after those came 9 from a breeder in sydney
2 x male: Fredric and cedric
7 x female: Rayne, scarlett, bronxie, Ailie, Caela, Lexi and Cinder.

Louie replaced tamina after she died, sponge bob was my valentines day gift to myself, Charz was my bday gift to myself, Pippin my bf gave me for my bday and Sheldon replaced Dastan, now theres Marshall.

Last edited by Abby; 06-20-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
metalbetta

Name: Winston
Color: Orange Dalmatian
Tail Type: VT
How Old You Were When You Got Him/Her: 18
Personality: Active and playful, but protective of his territory.
Age When Betta Died (If Dead)-Still alive!
Reason (If dead)- N/A

I got Winston (unfortunately) as an impulse buy to celebrate my first paycheck from my then-new job. I learned almost everything I know about bettas because of that boy... And is the reason there are 9 others in the house... lol... He's moved with me once, and is going to move with me again in another few weeks. He's my buddy, I love him, and I hope he'll be around with me for a long time. :)

Day 1:

Soon after:

Noms!

Recent!

Last edited by metalbetta; 06-21-2011 at 12:09 AM.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #10 
Loryen

Wow, what amazing bettas! Keep up the posting people, this could be a really cool thread... maybe even a sticky?