Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #1 
dprUsh83
Banned

Betta

I don't know anything about them, but I have been looking at a tank that I think a betta would look good in. Can they live with guppies and other similar fish? Also, could they eat tropical flake/blood worms/et cetera?

I'm clueless when it comes to bettas, but I thought this would be the place to ask! :D
dprUsh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #2 
jsm11482

Quote:
Can they live with guppies and other similar fish?
I believe bettas will attack any fish with colorful, flowing fins (ie, guppies).

Quote:
could they eat tropical flake/blood worms/et cetera
Flakes, there is also "betta food" which are little ball type things. I assume they would eat blood worms too but its probably not necessary.
jsm11482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #3 
myuzicman

Re: Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprUsh83
I don't know anything about them, but I have been looking at a tank that I think a betta would look good in. Can they live with guppies and other similar fish? Also, could they eat tropical flake/blood worms/et cetera?

I'm clueless when it comes to bettas, but I thought this would be the place to ask! :D
They can't live with fish that have flowing fins, but they will do fine with many species. I wouldn't pick guppies, I've heard bad stories. jsm11482 was talking about betta food. To be honest, I haven't ever been able to get my Bettas to eat it. I feed them flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp... They love the shrimp :)
myuzicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #4 
dprUsh83
Banned

Would it make a difference if it was a female betta (in relation the the guppies)?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #5 
myuzicman

Quote:
Would it make a difference if it was a female betta (in relation the the guppies)?
That's a big difference. The female betta would do perfectly fine with the guppies
Old 10-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #6 
dprUsh83
Banned

********EDIT*********

Posted in wrong thread!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
I wouldn't try that. Female bettas can be as aggressive as the males.
As for food, they will appreciate anything but they can be fussy on what food they want to eat. Bloodworms are mostly relished as bettas are rather carnivorous.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #8 
myuzicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Quote:
As for food, they will appreciate anything but they can be fussy on what food they want to eat. Bloodworms are mostly relished as bettas are rather carnivorous.
I'm going to have to disagree with Blue. Female bettas can be agressive to other male bettas, but they are perfectly fine with other fish.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #9 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuzicman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with Blue. Female bettas can be agressive to other male bettas, but they are perfectly fine with other fish.
Maybe but not with guppies. Better to be safe than sorry. I had female bettas ripping off even my rummy-nose tetras. I regret I ever mixed my bettas in the community.
But since this is only our opinion, then best to let others stick on your advice.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #10 
dprUsh83
Banned

Well I ended up getting a betta, and even went male. Before I did this though, I planned to be extra safe and accepted the fact that if it didn't work out I'd run another 5 gallon tank. He's worked out great (so far, which is about 6 hours).

No aggression at all, although he'll still develop territoriality. If he does become aggresive, I'll give him his own tank, but right now he's just accepting everything and looking beautiful in the tank!