Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #1 
Squidword

My Betta...Mario

My Betta, Mario who I blame for this maddness of "getting into fish", has been with me since March. He lives in a 1 gallon tank. With some pebbles. Nothing else. I change his water once a week. How long do bettas live under these conditions. Amazing how these fish do not require a heater....filter...Ph testing or much else. Winter is apporching here and I am concerned for him. The way things are going with my 29 gallon tank I am thinking of getting rid of all the other fish in my tank and letting Mario have the 29 gallon to himself.

Julie
Squidword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #2 
SimplySplendid

How often do you change the water? How do you clean the tank? (Bowl? ) If you don't mind my asking. :)
By pebbles, do you mean marbles?
I wouldn't move him to the 29g, atleast not yet. Bettas can't be kept with many other fish as they can be very territorial. I wouldn't keep him in a 1g either. I suggest a 5 to 10 gallon, with filter and heater. It depends on where you live -- you may not even need the heater.
SimplySplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #3 
Squidword

Hi Brie, I change the water every week. Yes, marble like things. I am guessing I can really extend his life if I do hook him up with a filter. I would be to afraid to put him in the 29 gallon. I think he would just go belly up in that tank! It's a mess. :(
Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #4 
Tracy

Although it is true that a betta can live without aeration and at room temperature, they actually will thrive better in heated water. Some books say 80 degrees. I had a betta in a small container (about 1.5 gallons) for three and a half years. Now that he has recently passed on, I keep my new betta in a 2 gallon aquarium with heat and a filter. Bigger is always better with any fish tank, though.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #5 
Squidword

Tracy, yes. I will have to get Mario a filter. Maybe a bigger set up. I can see where lots of you have more then on tank I have been searching around the site to find out any info that could further help my 29 gal. and caught your post about your darling Ice. I am sorry. Hope your new betta is doing well. :)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #6 
Tracy

Thank you Squidword; (Sponge Bob fan?!) Yeah, Ice was my old betta, also known as "Mr. Grumpy Gills" -- all I had to do was walk past the container and he would 'flare' at me! I think it's what kept him alive for so long :) . Good luck with your betta, too :)
Old 11-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
Thank you Squidword; (Sponge Bob fan?!)
I bet. The squid eh? Where are Patrick and Spongebob?

Good luck with the betta, Julie. Hope all goes well.:)
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #8 
Ziek

if you do put it in the 29 gallon make sure it is heavily decorated. although in most cases bigger is better for bettas it isn't always. they don't like big places since their natural habitat is rather small and at some times is no more than a puddle on the ground. if there are alot of plants or other things for them to hide around they usually stay calm.
Ziek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #9 
Tracy

Yeah what Ziek said: I once put my old betta in the 25 gallon aquarium with some non-aggressive fish. Although he got along with the fish, he seemed very 'freaked out' to be in there, and spent much time at the bottom of the tank, hiding under a piece of driftwood alongside the pleco! After about 10 days I put the betta back in his little container, where he seemed more relaxed, and lived out his days.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #10 
Squidword

Hey, guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah, hooked on spongebob.

Mario looks happy. Betas are fascinating. I think someone told me or I read that putting a mirror near him would keep him flaring, I thought that was cruel, no??