Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #1 
RubyRed09

Unhappy First Time Spawning (Need Help!)

I've had my male for some time now, and have just recently bought my female. I've been in the process of trying to condition them, but they both don't seem to have any interest in the bloodworms I've been giving them. I'm really trying to get the female more plump so that I'll know she's full of eggs. That's how you tell, right? I've read so many different breeding articles and watched videos about what to do and I want to make sure I'm taking the right steps. --Thanks!
RubyRed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Can you tell us more about your spawning tank/setup, spawning method you plan to use, other foods used for conditioning, method of conditioning...etc......

Females always have unripe eggs that they either drop and eat or leave or absorb the eggs on a regular basis...you can usually tell by the look of their poop....

For successful breeding you have to find their triggers.....one trigger is lots of good foods...live is best....Bettas are instinct driven and when they have lots of good food this tell them it is time to reproduce.....

Tannin stained water, longer photoperiod and fresh water changes are also good triggers....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
RubyRed09

Thumbs up

Hi Oldfishlady, thanks for the advice.

My set-up for now seems very basic, but I'm still learning the process.
I have a 10-gallon set up for the actual breeding tank. I have a normal sized heater, live plants and almond leaves. (heard that those were spawning inducers?) I have the male in another tank by himself right now, and the female in another. I've heard that while conditioning the pair you should let them see each other about twice a day for a few minutes. I did this today and it immediately triggered my male to start building the bubble nest. I'm just really not an expert on this and I want to be able to do everything the right way.

-thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Some females are basically fat while others are always thin.... so this isn't a reliable variant to determine if the female is ready to spawn/full of eggs. It's true that they will be more plumper than usual when they want to breed but you need to know your female's basic form. Females always carry eggs and will ripen when she's ready to spawn.

Try fasting them for a day or two before feeding F blood worms. Maybe they're just not used to it. I feed my females until they begin to bloat (not only as treats). If you have mosq. larva, they are much better as "conditioners"..... they contain more suitable nutrients and make your bettas more active.

IMO Flirt swimming (both male and female) is a more reliable indicator of readiness. Sometimes breeding bars is merely a sign of high self esteem.

If this is your first spawn, I suggest using a lot of live plants as the female's hide away. It will also serve as infusoria "suppliers" for your fry's first few days. If you want, you can reduce the plants after they've spawned or after fry are free swimming - so you can see everything better.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 
RubyRed09

Smile

Indjo, I have definitely noticed the 'flirt' swimming phenomena you talk about. I will try the fasting technique and see how that works over a few days. I checked the tank before leaving to go somewhere today, and the new bubble nest is 2x larger than it was earlier this morning. I definitely know that the male is ready. I have two more questions. I've read about barring changing direction on the females to indicate readiness to mate? And after the fry hatch, how long is it okay to leave the male in with the fry? -Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

vertical bars (the pale looking bars) which are said to be "breeding bars"
The horizontal lines (thin black/dark lines) are usually associated with stress

In general color is associated to health and mood. A relaxed and docile female may show stress bars (but she is not stressed) and immediately colors up when she sees another female or shows breeding bars when she sees a flirting male.

Sometimes a female shows all the right signs of readiness but when the male bites her, she runs off with stress bars. If she has adequate hiding places where the male couldn't easily get to her, she usually will re approach the male. This is normal.
But if she is constantly being bullied and she is no longer responding to the male - only showing submissive behavior with stress bars, dashing away from time to time - take her out immediately.

If your male is a good father and takes good care of his batch, you can leave him with the fry until ... forever. The longer the male is with the fry the better (IMO). But many breeders 1. don't want to chance a freak sudden change of behavior in the male - changing from good father to fry eater. 2. Wants to re-breed the male as soon as possible. So they take the father out when the fry are free swimming (between 5 - 7 days after eggs laid).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7 
RubyRed09

Thumbs up

Okay thanks so much! That really helps!!