Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation What's wrong with my MG?! Pics, please help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? ~ 80
Does your tank have a filter? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Spectrum pellets and occasionally worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily, 3 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week, 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and a drop of prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No and N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail went from a beautiful fan to shredded in what appears to be two days?! His gills are a bit whiter than normal. His fins are all fine except for the back one, which now looks like a crowntail.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't changed, just appearance.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now during a water change

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not started

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

How old is your fish (approximately)? About 8 months?

This is what he looks like today...

And before (ignore the bloating, it was from a water issue I've resolved)
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #2 
Silverfang

That kinda looks like fin biting. What he needs is lots of clean water, daily water changes if possible are the best bet. The ends look a bit black, which may be his colouring, and I saw some red spots. He might need a bit of AQ salt to help prevent fin rot/ infection. I believe the recommended dose is 1 tsp per gal.
As for the tail biting itself, you'd have to find his trigger. Is he stressed? Is he bored? Or, the one that there isn't anything you can do to change, are his fins to big for him and he did this to lighten the load, so to speak.

I know the first time my boy chewed his tail was during a water change, I figure keeping him in a small dark mug while I was getting the water up to temperature freaked him out. When you find his trigger, you just have to try and fix it.

Also try giving him a nutritious diet, add some frozen or live foods (frozen blood worms work). I believe the protein helps regrow fins. Hope this helps.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #3 
GreenTea

I feed him spectrum pellets and frozen blood worms. He's never bitten his fins, and yeah the black is normal. He'd had a few splits in his fins before when he was in a divided tank...So I removed him and he's in his own tank now, his fins had healed and I just noticed this today. What could the red be? I noticed that as well. His tank is by my bed and I've never seen him bite his tail. I'll QT him.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #4 
Sakura8

QT him and start him on aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon (dissolve in separate container before adding). He may have ripped his fins flaring or he's a tailbiter or something else but the red means that the open tears have become mildly irritated, possibly infected. Aquarium salt should halt that before it develops into full blown fin rot. Change the water in his QT container every day and redo the salt. A slightly lower temp, 76-77* will slow down the bacteria, I'm told.

Hope he gets better, he's gorgeous.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #5 
GreenTea

Oh god! He has no one to flair at anymore! He's close to me always and is eating and everything else normally...He'll get better! I haven't lost a betta yet.

He seemed fine. Could this be fin rot I haven't noticed because he hasn't been flaring? Wouldn't it effect his other fins/mood?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yes, he'll get better. Don't worry, I think you caught it before it developed into fullblown fin rot. If you are really worried, you can try treating him with Maracyn but I'd wait for about 5 days to see if the salt works. And sometimes they flare at their reflection or at sudden movements outside their tank. But the fact that it is only his tail affected leads to me to think Silverfang is right, he is a tailbiter. Halfmoons are notorious for it because of the huge size of their tails. He probably did it while you were asleep and there wasn't any movement outside his tank to occupy his interest.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #7 
Luimeril

very mild fin rot, brought on by tail biting. :d simple fix. x3c clean, warm water is the best cure. a little Indian Almond leaf if you have it. he'll be fixed right up in a matter of weeks! :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Why do bettas tail bite? This makes no sense to me =[ I'm sad about it.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Boredom or their tails may just be too heavy so they bite to "lighten the load." And in some, it's compulsive. Like some dogs chew on their paws or bark a lot because it's a nervous habit.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 
Luimeril

it's really only seen in longer-fined bettas, with Halfmoons and Deltas doing it the most.

it's either stress, or boredom, or they can't swim very well because their tail is so huge.

my MG Delta, Ichi, started doing it after i sorta.... >.>; missed a few water changes. that, was stress. after keeping up with the wc's, he stopped, but started again after i accidentally bumped the 'divider'(the blue plastic lid to Zidane's sterilte bin-tank), and he and Zidane could see each other. again, stress.

best way to combat it, is to find out WHY they do it. rearrange the decor in their tank often. that's hot i got Dante(my late copper Delta) to stop. if they keep on, it may be stress. do they have a filter? how's the current from it, if they do? can they see any other bettas? or their reflection?

its' annoying, but they don't really get hurt from it. often, HMs are more active after doing it. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote