Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 
JHernandez

Arrow We got babies but no nest?!?!?!?

Hello forum. My two betas have successfully mated and everything seems to go well except for a couple of hours ago. As you can see in the picture the bubble nest is gone but we got fry. the male keeps grabbing the ones that fall and putting them back in the bubble less nest. Is this something i should be worried about? and any suggestion?

Thanks. [ CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE ]

JHernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and congrats......

Is this his first spawn.....looks like he has some tiny bubble- but the fry look to be fine hanging on the wall....how many days old are they..sometimes the male will place the fry in a single bubble that the fry will break out of pretty fast...lol....I wouldn't worry...the fry should be fine.....when I artificial hatch Bettas they don't have a bubble nest either.....

What are your plans...love to hear more about your breeding project.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #3 
Thizzle

how do you artificially hatch Bettas?
Thizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #4 
Punki

Wow, he did well! Im not experienced as of yet but ive read like OFL said, some artificially hatch and there is no nest at all in those cases. Congrats!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #5 
JHernandez

Thank you all for the compliments. Yes its his first time. As a young kid in Cuba my cousins had huge farms of betas. when i was 12 i successfully mated my own 2 betas and has around 60 little ones. as i didn't know much about fish i placed a adult Oscar in the tank and by morning all my betas were gone. i know it still hurts. so now i have the space and i can do it right. i want to try a couple of methods of breeding to learn more about the fish. i have been reading my eyes out and it seems that the more i read the more interest grows.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The way I artificially hatch my Bettas.....I use a small container (2 cups in size) and as gentle as I can-I will lower/tilt the container next to the nest and let the nest float in it....and then float the container that I covered with plastic wrap in a heated tank to maintain temp of 80F-I attach the container so it doesn't sink with duct tape.....depending at what stage I collect the eggs-I will add a common snail on or about the day of hatch so that any dead/fungus eggs will be eaten-but not to early or the snail will eat the good eggs too.....

My Bettas use water lettuce for their nest so it is pretty easy for me to harvest the eggs/nest-the water lettuce fits perfect in the container I use with the added benefit of microorganism they have, long roots for the fry to rest on and help with water quality

Once hatched and free swimming-(Daily)-I pour some of the water out (10%) and fill with water from the tank I have them floating in (this will be the grow-out tank) by letting it slowly ooze in as I have the container tilted.......when they have been free swimming for about 2 days I will start adding small amounts of newly hatched brine shrimp that still have their yolk sac attached for best nutrition and really tiny at that stage too...once I see that the fry are eating good.....I will pour half the water out and refill with the tank water a couple of times over about an hour and then I tilt the container and let them out......this takes about 4-5 days total...more or less...depending on what stage I harvest the eggs....

This year I need a lot of Bettas to be ready by this fall so I have been harvesting and artificially hatching more this year than I normally do.....with some I wait until they hatch before I take them...this way the male can tend to them...then I will usually have a new nest of eggs pretty fast since I leave my females with the males in my breeding setups...I use more natural methods to spawn...I wouldn't recommend this in standard spawning setups/methods.....
Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

Some bettas will stick their fry onto floating plants such as duckweed instead of bubbles. The behavior you describe sounds typical. I assume you removed the female, right?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 
JHernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Some bettas will stick their fry onto floating plants such as duckweed instead of bubbles. The behavior you describe sounds typical. I assume you removed the female, right?
Yes. this is the third day :)

I have the brine shrimp cooking they look ready.Ii also purchased other types of food for them. Can i get your opinion on these? ALSO what are your thoughts on the almond extract?

[ Click Image to Enlarge ]

The aged water.

And the female :) " Lily "

Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #9 
NCPanthersgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The way I artificially hatch my Bettas.....I use a small container (2 cups in size) and as gentle as I can-I will lower/tilt the container next to the nest and let the nest float in it....and then float the container that I covered with plastic wrap in a heated tank to maintain temp of 80F-I attach the container so it doesn't sink with duct tape.....depending at what stage I collect the eggs-I will add a common snail on or about the day of hatch so that any dead/fungus eggs will be eaten-but not to early or the snail will eat the good eggs too.....

My Bettas use water lettuce for their nest so it is pretty easy for me to harvest the eggs/nest-the water lettuce fits perfect in the container I use with the added benefit of microorganism they have, long roots for the fry to rest on and help with water quality

Once hatched and free swimming-(Daily)-I pour some of the water out (10%) and fill with water from the tank I have them floating in (this will be the grow-out tank) by letting it slowly ooze in as I have the container tilted.......when they have been free swimming for about 2 days I will start adding small amounts of newly hatched brine shrimp that still have their yolk sac attached for best nutrition and really tiny at that stage too...once I see that the fry are eating good.....I will pour half the water out and refill with the tank water a couple of times over about an hour and then I tilt the container and let them out......this takes about 4-5 days total...more or less...depending on what stage I harvest the eggs....

This year I need a lot of Bettas to be ready by this fall so I have been harvesting and artificially hatching more this year than I normally do.....with some I wait until they hatch before I take them...this way the male can tend to them...then I will usually have a new nest of eggs pretty fast since I leave my females with the males in my breeding setups...I use more natural methods to spawn...I wouldn't recommend this in standard spawning setups/methods.....
I squealed like a little girl when I read that you use water lettuce too. I always hear about all the different plants people use, but I've never heard reference to water lettuce! But I have it in all my tanks. :D
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Water lettuce is an awesome plant especially for the spawning tank...great to build the nest under, creates lots of microorganism for fry and a place for the fry to hang on to......not to mention what it can do for water quality.....great all around live plant......and the long roots hanging in the water column look pretty neat....