Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #1 
masshiimarro

omg found a baby mouse... what do i do?!

so, my mom found a baby mouse today whilst cleaning.. it has some fur, but the eyes arent open yet. it seems pretty healthy though, well rounded. i imagine we could have just left the baby where it was and let it roam back home, but after cleaning/bleaching ect, im pretty sure we would have destroyed its scent trail already.. so now its with us..
we are going to set it free after it gets to a good age.
so anyways,, any tips guys? i really dont want this guy to die!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 
Fish on Fire

Do you have a pet snake?
Fish on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #3 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

So mean, Fish on Fire! LOL. You might be able to feed it a little kitten replacer milk....it may not be the best thing because milk from a mouse is better. Keep it warm, about 78-80 degrees, you can put it in a small container with a lid *and lots of air holes* With a blanket and put a heating pad half under it. Only half so that if it gets to warm the baby can go to the cooler side. If it is still suckling, though, you will have to feed it every 2 hours with a syringe. if its eyes aren't open, it is still suckling, so you WILL have to feed it every 2 hours with kitten replacement milk. When they get older and start weaning off of it, you can feed it mostly plant matter that doesn't have any pesticides etc. As mice are mostly herbivores. If feeding every 2 hours is too much for you to handle, though, I would reccomend giving it to a skilled wildlife rehabilitator. One more thing, if you know any stores that locally sell pinky mice (as for snakes to eat) they have mother mice with milk. you might be able to get one, but I have never tried this before, and the mother mouse may not want to feed it because it is a 'wild' mouse, but i doubt this would happen. Anyways, good luck with the little guy, and if you find it is too much, I'm sure you could find a wildlife rehabilitator somewhere near you to help. :D
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #4 
gummi

My advice would be to buy a slew of traps as soon as you can. If you found one baby mouse inside your home, you'll likely be seeing more soon. Sure they may be cute, but once your home becomes their personal restaurant and bathroom it will be a different story.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #5 
masshiimarro

oh no we didnt find him in our house .... if we did, our cats would have had first dibs on them already. sigh.... right now i need to know how much is normal feeding.. i used a tiny paintbrush to feed it, since even my smallest syringe is too big for it. it licked the paintbrush and ate a little, but still... i feel that its not enough. maybe its just stressed and doesnt want to eat much right now. i tried to make it go to the bathroom by rubbing its stomach with a q tip, didnt work..
i know i wont be having any sleep tonight... :o
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #6 
gummi

That's good. It just sounded like you found it in the house since you were talking about cleaning and bleaching.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #7 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Good job, and I didn't even tell you about the q-tip. I don't know exact feeding, i'll google it real quick
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #8 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

You need to feed it about an eye dropper full, or as much as he will eat, every feeding. more is better in this case, better over feed a little bit and have a partly fatmouse than underfeed and have a starving or dead mouse. And remember the HEAT! That is most important! Without heat he WILL die, so keep him with heat the whole time!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #9 
masshiimarro

a full eyedropper?! hes TINY.... lol translated,, thats how many mLs?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #10 
masshiimarro

ah, i forgot to add that he does have fur.. but he doesnt have his eyes open yet.. or maybe a little sliver, im not too sure. hes sleeping and a little twitchy right now. i think thats normal cuz thats how kittens are too when they are developing? somehow these guys seem to have similar behavior when they are newborns.. despite being predator and prey.. 0_o