Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Want to start a sorority

Within a month I am looking to start a sorority I already have a 10 gallon tank with filter. Just wondering what are some helpful tips for before and when I have the tanks set up and ready to go with the girls. I do not have the fish yet.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #2 
LittleNibbles93

Sororities are fun! :)

Here's whats worked for me.

I got a 10g kit (but as you already got the tank no need for that step), I got some gravel (you can use whatever you want.). I got about 3 caves, and several silk plants, and a littler bridge. I let the tank run while I hunted for the females.

I already had one and I put her in it with only two decorations in it. (when I got the other girls I removed her and rearranged the tank and added more stuff)

I kept the 4 new girls in they're cups and did 2 water changes a day on them, I did this for about a week until they showed no signs of illness (which is good, because one had ick the day after I got her).

Once they were all good to go, I let them all float in the cups in the tank. I waited about 10 minutes, then I let one of them out and waited another 5 minutes, then I let the next two out, 5 more minutes I let the last two out.

I started with the smallest female, and ended with the largest.

Be sure to have extra tank or gallon container incase one of the females gets beaten up real bad or one is to aggressive. I've not had it happen to me yet.

I have 5 females in my 10 gallon now, and they are doing pretty well :)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #4 
MaggieLynn

So five is a good number of girls in a 10 gallon? what about for a 15 gallon? I have both sizes in my basement
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 
scootshoot

I have 6 females in a 14 and they are doing great.

Look around and buy the smallest females you can. Think of them as a puppy or kitten. Puppy and kitten introduced together will have far greater chance of coping with one anothers company as they grow to maturity as opposed to being introduced when they are already mature and grew up alone.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 
MaggieLynn

thanks! I went looking today and saw two pretty crowntails at petco, both lively and smallish. didnt look sick at all. Bringing atleast 3 home tomorrow maybe all 5 not sure yet
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #7 
nighthealr

Hi! I am also in the process of starting a sorority and have been frequenting this website. My 10g planted tank is cycled and ready to go....but after reading about everyone's experiences with aggression, nipped fins etc. I'm AFRAID to actually add the still-unpurchased females! Should I just get random fish of similar size or would it be better to try and get sisters from somewhere like aquabid? Would it make much of a difference?
nighthealr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthealr View Post
Hi! I am also in the process of starting a sorority and have been frequenting this website. My 10g planted tank is cycled and ready to go....but after reading about everyone's experiences with aggression, nipped fins etc. I'm AFRAID to actually add the still-unpurchased females! Should I just get random fish of similar size or would it be better to try and get sisters from somewhere like aquabid? Would it make much of a difference?
I just bought and set up my tank today. I had all the girl's in their little cups near each other just to see how they reacted to seeing each other and put the least aggressive ones in first and i put them all in one at a time and i have had no problems, i did have to return a female, she just ended up floating at the top of the tank not doing anything but the new one i brought home fit right in even though the other girls were there for maybe 45 minutes. there has been some chasing and a two of them like to circle each other but over all no issues. they are enjoying their tank. what you should do is really observe them before you buy I bought 2 at the petco on the east side of town, which is the side i live on and i bought the rest on the west side cuz the others were bland and not as lively. so dont be afraid to be picky
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #9 
metalbetta

What I did (before I had to tear mine down...) was keep the girls in gallon tanks for two weeks to a month to observe and let them get settled. At one point I would put their tanks nearby one another so they would get used to each other... There was a lot of flaring at the beginning... lol... I created an artificial cycle in my tank with bacteria I bought at the store... It works for a short time, but you have to keep adding it otherwise things might go haywire. Anyway I made sure the tank had a bio-filter before I added the girls.

My smallest and least aggressive went in first, and my most aggressive went in last. I'd give maybe 15 minutes between releases. That's another benefit to QT'ing them for a couple of weeks, you get to know them and exactly how aggressive they can be before you add them in. Watch them like a hawk for the first couple of weeks, because they WILL fight. They need to develop a pecking order to coexist semi-peacefully. It sucks, but do not seperate them if they're fighting, UNLESS they're going too far. If they continue to seriously fight after the two week point, you might want to put the instigator in her own seperate tank for a couple of days, then add her back. I had to do that once, worked like a charm!
Good luck with your sorority! They're definitely worth it. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #10 
Sakura8

There is a sticky on sororities with fantastic advice from Here Fishy Fishy Fishy somewhere on this forum. It will really help, too. But everyone's experiences and methods are different, try the methods that work best for you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote