Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #1 
Soarjet

Unhappy Sad, Frustrated and Disapointed

I am so upset and completely frustrated. Since the middle of may I have lost two betta's. I have never had this much trouble keeping a betta before.
I had them all the time when I was in high school and I didn't follow any of the rules on here. Now 15 years later and I am trying to do whats best for the Betta I keep killing them off!!!

What am I doing wrong...... this is just getting depressing
Soarjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 
TonyK

I'm sorry you lost them thats always hard to deal with. We do need some infor on how you were housing them, were they sick or just die, how often were water changes being done any info you v=can think of.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
fishman12

Wow that stinks. So sorry for your losses.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I know it can be so frustrating to lose a fish, especially because often you have no concrete knowledge of WHY they died, as a symptom a fish may display can be a symptom for many diseases and problems. How long was the average lifespan of the bettas you kept in HS?

Another reason why you may be losing more fish now is simply because you happened to get a few sickly fish.

More information on how you kept them would definitely help. Please don't get discouraged, everyone suffers setbacks and we all learn by trial and error. And even people here who have kept bettas for years will lose their pets suddenly and in quick succession, often to reasons beyond their control. There are always a dozen people posting who are ready and willing to walk you through the setup/first few weeks process step by step. Once you are established in the hobby, you'll find it worth it because bettas have loads of personality to share with you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #5 
fishman12

+1
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
CrowntailTwitchy57

maybe when you got the fish they were a lot older than you thought?
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Soarjet

okay they were in a 5 gallon tank with filter. they have a heater, we would change half the water every 3 days. We really don't know what happen to the first one but the second one the tank hadn't finished cycling. He almost made it through. We would check the levels every day.. sometimes twice a day.. The Nitrites were in the .5 which is caution. we would put stuff in that is suppose to make it safe.

I dunno... its rough..

We are going to wait about a week or so and let this tank finish cycling and then I will go get another one. I really liked this last one he has such personality!
Soarjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm really sorry about your last fish, Soarjet. :( It's hard to lose a fish with so much personality. But the good news is all bettas have a lot of personality and there are so many out there who need a good home like the one you can offer. Please post pics of your new bettas when you get them. Hang in there!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote