Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #1 
Erin8D

Whats wrong with Rocket?? :C

His stomache has puffed up and I don't know if it's bloat or something else. Here's a pic:

I fed him like normal, 4 betta crumbs of "Betta Bites"

He lives by himself in a 10 Gallon tank with a small sponge filter. :/ What do I do?? D
He's swimming fine and active like usual, not puffed scales
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Pretty Betta....

Need some more information....

In the 10gal filtered with a sponge filter, only fish...any livestock...like shrimp and snails....how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, additives used, how long have you had him and how long has the tank been setup...when was the last time and amount of food fed in relation to when the photo was taken....is this the first time his stomach has been this large....

Since he is otherwise acting, eating, pooping etc...no buoyancy problems or symptomatic....right now I would hold all food/feeding for now and once we have more information......we can go from that point..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

we need more info... fill out the sticky thing and get back to us
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #4 
Erin8D

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74
Does your tank have a filter? small sponge filter (with carbon)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just the bubbles from the filter
Is your tank heated? my house stays in the mid 70s all day/night
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none (possibly small pond snails from plants)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? "Betta Bites"
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 crumbs every morning

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week (sometimes more if I'm bored)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: 8-8.5
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has grown a pea sized bulge (see pic)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, perfectly normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning after feeding, I didn't notice it before butI also didn't really see him good :/
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, just been observing him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since I've had him
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from petco about a month ago, he is pretty small I could measure him?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #5 
Erin8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Pretty Betta....

Need some more information....

In the 10gal filtered with a sponge filter, only fish...any livestock...like shrimp and snails....how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, additives used, how long have you had him and how long has the tank been setup...when was the last time and amount of food fed in relation to when the photo was taken....is this the first time his stomach has been this large....

Since he is otherwise acting, eating, pooping etc...no buoyancy problems or symptomatic....right now I would hold all food/feeding for now and once we have more information......we can go from that point..
No shrimp, but there could be small pond snails that came with the live plants i've had in there. Water changes once or more a week 20-30%, 74 normaly gradual transition to 70 for the night. I have two anubias nano on driftwood and have had those in a previous tank before. I've had Rocket for a month but he was in his own 1 gallon tank. I set up the 10 gallon on Sunday and moved him in, no fishless cycle. I fed him at about 1:00 this morning, 4 Betta Bites crumbs. Yes, this is the first, i've never had any problems with him before.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would hold food for now and look at getting a different brand to add to his varied diet....small frequent meals are best.....since he is asymptomatic to bloat, constipation, SBD....I wouldn't do anything other than a fast for a day or so.....

How is he today.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #7 
Erin8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would hold food for now and look at getting a different brand to add to his varied diet....small frequent meals are best.....since he is asymptomatic to bloat, constipation, SBD....I wouldn't do anything other than a fast for a day or so.....

How is he today.....
Alright, I'll look into some of the foods I've seen you recomend.
He is back to normal size, and I gave him one crumb/pellet today and he stayed normal sized. I think he's better :D Thank you for your help/concern! I'm glad it wasn't serious :C
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 
GreenTea

I had issues with my bettas tummies and found out I needed a heavy water conditioner and I also switched food brands. I use new life spectrum pellets, about 7 dollars at petco I think. They're good quality and very small! I have a couple young guys and they couldn't eat the big pellets. I dont have any issues after getting new water conditioner and food. You can bring your water to petco or petsmart and they can test it for you. Glad he's feeling better!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote