Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #1 
CyerRyn

Halfmoon fins in shreds!

I went to my LFS (the store that I went to and got Brownie my HMPK and Trogdor my Blue/metallic HM). The day I bought Trogdor (fishy in my avatar) there was also a red halfmoon there that I almost bought instead of him. It's been a few weeks but I stopped in today and that poor red boy is still there only missing half his fins!! Their shredded! I'm thinking stress and probably did it to himself. He has tank mates, not sure what kind they are they looked like guppies. The store owner I don't think is treating him but she said she removed the tank mates she thinks was causing him stress or was doing the damage. I would've taken a picture but I dont know if the owner would have liked that. So anyway.. I didn't have the room I'm currently waiting on a 2gal bowl from my ex, but I plan on picking him up next week. I even bought the AQ salt to treat him for the fin loss. I really hope he's feeling better by then he was looking really fat too. :( I hope I can perk him up he'll be comfy with me and my 5 boys. I just hope he's still there.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #2 
CrowntailTwitchy57

well all i can think of is maybe fin rot? i don't know i need photos...
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
CyerRyn

I wasn't asking what it was just stating what I seen and that I anticipate buying and treating him in the future. It's 100% chewed. If it was fin rot.. then all his fins would be in the same condition but its just the tail.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 
Silverfang

It's quite likely it was a stress induced bout of tail biting. Hope things work out well when you pick him up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #5 
CyerRyn

My ex had a 1gal bowl he wasn't using so he gave it to me. He also had a small critter keeper that he said would be useful as a QT tank. Anyway, looks like I'll be able to get the red halfmoon on Wednesday (that is if I can get to the store). Pls no comments on how "1gal is too small" I'm in complete agreement to 99% of Betta's.. but I also believe that there are those finicky Betta's that seem to be much more comfortable in something a little smaller. Bloo stopped making bubble nests for me and kept getting stress stripes when I moved him into 3.5gal.. he'd lay down on the bottom of the tank unless it was feeding time. I put him in the bowl an hour ago and he's flirting with his fins and much more livelier! The red halfmoon has been in a 20gal tank at the store so if I'm able to get him, he'll be going in the split 7gal. I'm super excited! He'll be QT'd though until most of his fins grow back.