Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Question pre-breeding/female purchase help?

Ok so my male is blowing bubble nests and is happy, and I am considering buying a female and breeding them, but with the fry, will I have to buy a seperate tank for each one? Will it get that expensive? If seperate tanks are required to avoid attacking, then breeding is automatically OUT OF THE QUESTION.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #2 
HD4life

You do not need to buy a seperate tank for each of them, but you will need to seperate the males once they show signs of aggression, some people use mason jars, tuperware, tanks with dividers, pet carriers ect ( lee's kritter keepers is what I plan to use). As long as you will do regular water changes and can find good homes for them, you have lots of options. Be sure to do your research and stock up on supplies before you spawn, it takes time, preperation and supervision to spawn and raise fry, but its worth it and always exciting.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Yeah, that sounds ok, I just didn't wanna have to buy seperate tanks for each, my grandma would FREEEEEAK! I will use tupperware containers or old jam jars (with air holes, or course!) I will make sure I can find homes for many first, though. Will pet stores accept the fry for them to sell if I am unsuccessful?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

is there any other special care that fry need to survive? how long should I leave them with the parents?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 
HD4life

Fry need live food to grow healthy, many use micro worms or baby brine shrimp the first few weeks and graduate to larger foods after 3 or 4 weeks old. The female needs to be removed as soon as spawning is over and the male can stay to care for the eggs and fry when they hatch til day 3 or 4 when they swim on they're own.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #6 
CrowntailTwitchy57

ok, now i just need to find micro worms at petsmart! (i am a softie and can't stand the thought of feeding baby shrimp to them) i bet i'm the only 15 year old interested in betta breedine!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
PitGurl

Your not going to find micro worms at petsmart. You need to offer more of a selection in your fry food also. Different foods have different nutritional values. There was someone on this forum who was selling micro worm cultures but I don't remember who. Aqau Bid sells cultures too.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #8 
HD4life

I have cultures to sell. I only have micro worms though. BBS is not like the shrimp you have in aquariums, they are very very small and usually only serve as food not pets. You also know to condition your pair on live foods and have your spawn tank set up before you put them together right? You can check out the "breeding betta questions" sticky to create a checklist of what you already know and what info you still need.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 
plad556

Just throwing this in there the only time i see BBS as pet r when they are called "Sea Monkeys"
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #10 
HD4life

Haha that's true, I forgot about that. My mom got me some when I was like 5