Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
BettaLinz

Normal for Petco?

I went into Petco today to look around and see if they had the heater I was seeking (to no avail, ) and I went into the area with the live fish to browse. The first tank I saw left me horrified. It was probably about 80 gallons, it looked somewhere in between a 50 and 100gal, and it was housing well over 100 goldfish. The water was so cloudy you could barely see your hand if you pressed it against the other side of the glass. And, worst of all, there was an enormous pile of 50+ goldfish lying dead on the bottom of the tank. And the rest of the fish looked like they were well on their way to joining them. It was awful. We told an employee about it and all she had to say was that they kept getting shipments of bad fish, and that they had to wait until they were all dead before they could scoop them out. Um, why? She never explained it to me. I personally think that there problem isn't a "bad shipment of fish" but horrible water quality. All of their tanks were disgusting. Poor fishies. :( The lady at the store was nice enough to drape a white cloth over the tank so that children (and fish lovers :D) wouldn't be upsetted by it.

Anyway, is this normal for Petco? I wouldn't know as I hardly ever go there because I live quite a distance away. It just upset me that they didn't really seem to care about their fish. As my little sister likes to say, "fish are people, too!" ;)
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 
Erin8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
I went into Petco today to look around and see if they had the heater I was seeking (to no avail, ) and I went into the area with the live fish to browse. The first tank I saw left me horrified. It was probably about 80 gallons, it looked somewhere in between a 50 and 100gal, and it was housing well over 100 goldfish. The water was so cloudy you could barely see your hand if you pressed it against the other side of the glass. And, worst of all, there was an enormous pile of 50+ goldfish lying dead on the bottom of the tank. And the rest of the fish looked like they were well on their way to joining them. It was awful. We told an employee about it and all she had to say was that they kept getting shipments of bad fish, and that they had to wait until they were all dead before they could scoop them out. Um, why? She never explained it to me. I personally think that there problem isn't a "bad shipment of fish" but horrible water quality. All of their tanks were disgusting. Poor fishies. :( The lady at the store was nice enough to drape a white cloth over the tank so that children (and fish lovers :D) wouldn't be upsetted by it.

Anyway, is this normal for Petco? I wouldn't know as I hardly ever go there because I live quite a distance away. It just upset me that they didn't really seem to care about their fish. As my little sister likes to say, "fish are people, too!" ;)
If you mean their feeder fish tanks than yes. That's common at any store. Feeder fish are meant to be sold quick and in large quantitys. They are meant to be eaten by snakes/largerfish/pondstock so stores don't focus on their care as they aren't pets. It isn't so much their water quality, but there are so many fish that when they dump in the food, cloud of fish litteraly push the others out of the way and they starve.

However they don't have any excuse for their pet fish to be in badly kept. Thats quite sad, but it really depends store to store how their fish are kept.
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
Blazer23

Wow do you have a local fish or pet store, they usually take more care of their fish then big chain stores do.
Blazer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I was there one day and they had the cover off the feeder fish tank. There were about 200 dead fish on top of the filter. the employee said they jump up there and suffacate. Instead of removing them, he just put the cover back on.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #5 
BettaLinz

I wasn't aware of feeder fish tanks, hm that does make sense. But still, our Petsmart has a tank of goldfish just like that with crystal clear water, energetic fish, and they usually scoop out any dead ones as soon as they are notified. Just wasn't prepared for that at Petco..gahh.

Nope, I don't have any locally owned pet stores nearby. :( Wish I did!

Wow, Tikibirds.. Thats awful. :( Feeder fish or not, they should be treated well for the life that they do have.
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
I wasn't aware of feeder fish tanks, hm that does make sense. But still, our Petsmart has a tank of goldfish just like that with crystal clear water, energetic fish, and they usually scoop out any dead ones as soon as they are notified. Just wasn't prepared for that at Petco..gahh.

Nope, I don't have any locally owned pet stores nearby. :( Wish I did!

Wow, Tikibirds.. Thats awful. :( Feeder fish or not, they should be treated well for the life that they do have.
This is why most aquarium books actually advise AGAINST feeding feeder fish to fish who eat them, like Oscars and other large cichlids and catfish. It's just begging for your pet to get a disease from these poor things. Bad batch my foot, a bad batch is a tray of burned cookies. These were neglected! And yes, sadly oh so sadly, it's typical of Petco, Petsmart, and any other place that carries feeder fish. Ironically, the healthiest feeder fish I've ever seen are at my Wal-Mart. All the tank fish there are healthy, just not the bettas.

Note: Feeder fish can be turned into very good, albeit large (8-12") pet fish with enough TLC. They're basically common goldfish who need 20g tanks or larger and cooler waters. Quarantine for a month before adding to any community tank to avoid introducing the diseases that these poor fish carry.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
fishman12

Ugggh I'm scarred for life...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

That is why I NEVER purchase feeder fish, but raise my own (guppies). MUCH safer that way!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #9 
TonyK

I was about to say that. If you want healthy feeders its best to raise your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
That is why I NEVER purchase feeder fish, but raise my own (guppies). MUCH safer that way!!!!
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #10 
Sakura8

And guppies DO breed like wildfire. Pretty much any livebearer does. Has anyone ever used convict cichlid fry as feeders? Convicts breed even more than guppies, practically. All the LFS around me have about 3 tanks full of convicts.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote