Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #11 
ollief9

The worst I've seen is in Pets at Home (UK), and some of the goldfish had Ich, and there were a few dead fish here and there. I guess chain pet stores aren't so bad over here.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #12 
Irishdancer

I don't even like to look at the goldfish at the pet stores in my area, because I know that there are always dead fish floating around in there. It's horrible.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #13 
cajunamy
Banned

OMG! I've never seen a feeder fish tank look like that :(
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
OMG! I've never seen a feeder fish tank look like that :(
Count yourself lucky. You're traumatized and depressed for the rest of the day when you do. :/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #15 
BettaLinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Count yourself lucky. You're traumatized and depressed for the rest of the day when you do. :/
Isn't that the truth. :(
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #16 
Punki

I guess it depends on the Petco, i live closest to a walmart, then petsmart and the furthest and best is Petco, didnt see a single dead fish and their setups are amazing, their bettas are very wellkept and they only keep a small stock of them in to make sure they get the care they need. Daily water changes/divided and carded so they dont see each other, just a wonderful place really lol.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
I guess it depends on the Petco, i live closest to a walmart, then petsmart and the furthest and best is Petco, didnt see a single dead fish and their setups are amazing, their bettas are very wellkept and they only keep a small stock of them in to make sure they get the care they need. Daily water changes/divided and carded so they dont see each other, just a wonderful place really lol.
You ARE lucky. My Petsmart is the worst, dead fish all the time in barebottom tanks, fish have worms, the feeders piled on top of each other in a corner . . . ugh. My Petco is better but they do get dead fish and like Petsmart, they rarely bother to scoop them out in a timely manner. The best is my Petclub, a local chain. They keep their fish in excellent condition, scoop out dead ones quickly, and get in unique stock that even my LFS doesn't carry. And their feeder fish look quite healthy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #18 
fishman12

My petco puts in decor with the tags still on.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #19 
ollief9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
My petco puts in decor with the tags still on.
Haha, how dumb can you get My pets at home does that, too.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #20 
Sivan

I feel ad for feeder fish. Unfortunately, feeder fish are usually the prize goldfish given away at carnivals. I won a fish at my college's "carnival night" and felt bad for the thing. Nobody was told how to take care of them and all that was given was a small vase for the fish to "live" in and a small bag of food! I saved one, or thought I would, but they were all diseased. My neighbor, who was given one by some friends who had won the fish but didn't actually plan on keeping it, had hers die in a few days. Poor guy. Mine died about a week and a half later with the same weird after-death symptoms. I looked online and found that he was probably killed by bacterial gill disease or fish tuberculosis, which comes from bacteria in bad quality water (a staple of my college :C ) and I am guessing the fish were infected already when given out.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote