Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #1 
BettaLinz

Fish that can live with bettas?

I've been watching videos online of different 5 gallon fish tanks to get ideas on how to decorate mine, and I came accross one video of a tank with a male crowntail betta, 7 neon tetras, and 4 ghost shrimp. I hadn't even thought of putting other fish in with my bettas - and I would love to, if I can! As I said, I will have a 5 gallon tank with a light, filter, and heater, and I already have my little boy betta to put in when I get it. :) So, what other types of fish can live comfortably with bettas? And how many would you consider to be the maximum for this tanks capacity?
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #2 
Sakura8

In a 5g, most people here consider one betta to be its max occupancy. You CAN probably put several shrimp or a few mystery snails with your betta, though. If you want to put fish with your guy, you'll probably need a 10g tank. But for a 5g, unfortunately it's too small to put another fish with a betta. Your options will be shrimp, mystery snails, or possibly an African Dwarf Frog. Sorry.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
In a 5g, most people here consider one betta to be its max occupancy. You CAN probably put several shrimp or a few mystery snails with your betta, though. If you want to put fish with your guy, you'll probably need a 10g tank. But for a 5g, unfortunately it's too small to put another fish with a betta. Your options will be shrimp, mystery snails, or possibly an African Dwarf Frog. Sorry.
I agree with this.
If you get a bigger tank though ..10 gallon or larger...bettas can live with other fish.My favorite are corydoras,rasboras and platys...I wouldn't recommend tetras personally..They can be nippy.
It really all depends on the individual fish though..Some do fine with other fish and some are much too aggressive.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 
BettaLinz

Alright, thanks for that info you two! I will be going with a 10 gallon instead. :) About how many other fish would be alright to put with my betta in this?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Depends on the personality of the fish and the bioload. You can safely add more omnivores/herbivores than carnivores who produce more waste. Also, more sedentary types produce less bioload. More aggressive active fish need more room. And all schooling fish like tetras should have at least 5. What kind of fish are you thinking of?

Possible good tankmates for a 10g and a betta:
rasboras, corydoras catfish, otocinclus catfish, some tetras, possibly guppies, platies, African Dwarf frogs, shrimp, mystery snails
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I don't recommend guppies if it's a male betta. They'll see the guppies as other betta's and attack. Cories are epic to watch though and neon tetra's are peaceful and just beautiful to watch shoal around the tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
Alright, thanks for that info you two! I will be going with a 10 gallon instead. :) About how many other fish would be alright to put with my betta in this?
Depends on the fish you decide to go with.. ..

I keep guppies with my betta in my 29 gallon and they get along fine...I think it really does depend on the betta though.
In a 10 gallon I wouldn't recommend guppies though...Guppies are really fast and may stress out a betta big time in a 10 gallon.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 
BettaLinz

I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 male Albino Cories, 3 Ghost Shrimp, and 1 Mystery Snail to put in with my male Betta. Too much...?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 
meeka

I added my fish first and then added my betta. He was aggressive at first but he has settled down now and doesnt flare at anyone. He is in with an albino bristlenose, 5 platys, 1 balloon molly, 3 albino cories and cherry shrimps. Also they are in a 16g - not saying that you could get this many fish in a 10g, but I think its best to add the betta last if you can.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 male Albino Cories, 3 Ghost Shrimp, and 1 Mystery Snail to put in with my male Betta. Too much...?
You could actually get one more cory, they're happiest in groups of 4 and up. No less than 3, though. If you keep up with the water changes, it sounds good. Warning, though: ghost shrimp have a way of "mysteriously" disappearing when bettas are around and at the same time, bettas have a way of getting fatter as ghost shrimp disappear.