Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #1 
Larkspur

Moony+Tonks, Snape+Fleur Breed log

I have decided to to try my hand at breeding. I have 5 bettas, 2 males 3 females. Right now I am just introducing them and trying to see if they like each other at all. I decided to pair my Platinum HM male (Moony) with my VT female(Tonks) who is white with red fins. And my black and white male DT (Snape) with my red blue and yellow VT female (Fleur)

Moony and Tonls were flaring a bit when I first introduced them but after a whilr even though Moony can't reach her since she is in her own bowl in the breeding tank she still darts around to hide from him, and eventually he lost interest and went to sleep in his "man cave" as I like to call it

Snape REALLY likes Fleur. He just can't get enough of her there is never a second that he isn't flaring at her. she shows mild interest but is not nearly as excited about this situation as he is. Fleur jumped out of her section of the tank and I decided to just watch how they reacted to each other. Snape is really sweet he just calmly swims next to her (he was constantly flaring) but he didn't chase her or nip at her or anything. Fleur on the other hand didn't like this situation at all she darted all around the tank frantically trying to get away from him so after about 10 minutes of this I decided to put her back into her tank and lower her water levil so she couldn't escape again. She doesn't seem to like him too much any more.

I was wondering if I should separate them for a day or so or if I should let them be for a while to see if anything happens?

Your input is greatly welcomed!!
THANKS!
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #2 
Larkspur

I'll post some pictures as soon as they send to my E-mail. I only have a camera phone and is sort of sucks so the pictures aren't going to be good quality but you might be able to tell what they look like. If you want to see a good picture of Moony go on my profile!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #3 
mernincrazy8525

did you condition them for 2 weeks and did you do your research? maybe you should look into getting a halfmoon female from someone on the site to breed with one of your males because veiltails are not in right now and if you bred a halfmoon and a veiltail you would get all veiltails.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #4 
regalesse

can we see pics???? i would really like a black and white betta. i have not found one pretty enough to purchase yet.
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 
Larkspur

@Mernincrazy
Yeah I did, but it doesn't really matter if they don't like each other because I'm not planning on breeding them right now this was just a test to see if they liked each other since they had never seen each other before, and to try and get my males to make bubble nests. I think they might be able to see each other from across my desk since neither of them have ever made one. My females are in a 10g tank on the main level of my house and I really just wanted them to have seen each other before I tried to get them to breed. I have been doing some research on how to breed and what methods to use. I set up my breeding tanks with smaller vases inside of the 10 gallon tanks and lots of plants to hide in and I put some bubble wrap for a bubble nest foundation Snape started to make a nest but Moony doesn't want to. I removed the females last night because I didn't want them to be scared the whole night. I Hadn't looked into genetics or anything like that because I hated biology and punnet squares so much. But it seems like it is going to be necessary. I think I will ask around the site to see if anyone has they colors of half moon or super delta tail or maybe even rose tail or double tail! That might be cool!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #6 
Larkspur

@ regalesse
oh yeah I'll post some pictures! I just need to download them onto an image sharing website! (I hope photobucket will work now lol)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
regalesse

love the names by the way.
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 
Larkspur

Tonks

Snape

Moony

Fleur

Sorry my camera is so bad I only have my phone. you can't see in these pictures but Snape has all white edges on his fins and he actually has black and white scales all over his body which makes him look gray from far away.

Last edited by Larkspur; 06-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #9 
Larkspur

Here is another good picture of Snape.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 
Larkspur

OH! I didn't even see your response about their names lol Thanks! I'm on a bit of a harry potter kick right now!! When I breed Moony my favorite of the males is going to be named Prongs XD I also have a metalic green/blue VT female in my 10gal with my black moor(Larkspur), cherry barb(Foxglove), and common goldfish(Ophrys) her name is Luna (as you might have noticed I named all of my other fish after plants and flowers)

Tags
beginner, breeding, first spawn, questions