Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #1 
OzarksLady

King Bettas

I went to PetCo yesterday to buy some supplies for my two boys. No I didn't come home with more Bettas but did see some King Bettas. My stars and garters those boys are huge! They had a $12.95 price tag on them.
OzarksLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #2 
Nexangelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
I went to PetCo yesterday to buy some supplies for my two boys. No I didn't come home with more Bettas but did see some King Bettas. My stars and garters those boys are huge! They had a $12.95 price tag on them.
I have yet to see a king betta in person. I've remained loyal to the LFS I work at and have never set food in a PetCo or PetSmart, but I'm seriously re-considering that given our limited (good quality, but limited) selection of bettas.

Obviously these companies don't stand for high quality fish, but are they well maintained in these kinds of establishments? What kinds of bettas do they generally stock?

I admire you for not buying a betta while you were there. Wish I had that kind of willpower!
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 
Tisia

kings always look way too big in those tiny cups. I think kings are generally like half giants, the actual giant bettas are even bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
I have yet to see a king betta in person. I've remained loyal to the LFS I work at and have never set food in a PetCo or PetSmart, but I'm seriously re-considering that given our limited (good quality, but limited) selection of bettas.

Obviously these companies don't stand for high quality fish, but are they well maintained in these kinds of establishments? What kinds of bettas do they generally stock?

I admire you for not buying a betta while you were there. Wish I had that kind of willpower!
maintenance generally varies store to store. petsmarts in my area are much worse about betta care than petcos, but I know some people have mentioned the opposite about the stores in their area. petsmart is generally more limited in their stock, I've only seen VTs and CTs, though some people have mentioned they've heard of dragon and HM tags showing up at petsmart. Petco generally carries a much wider selection of tail types
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 
OzarksLady

The store I was in is located in Mesquite Texas. The fish looked pretty good. I did find one dead one. But the water was pretty clean and the fish looked lively.
OzarksLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

whenever i am in petco me and my bf check out the bettas and the king always scare me for some reason.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #6 
MikiMaki

I read an article about them and how Petco isn't naming its source for them so we'll never know truly what kind of betta it is, but the speculation is that they're just plakats selectively breed to be big. That was just one article though.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #7 
plad556

You can go to petco.com and buy kin bettas on there but shipping for me was 30 and i did not have that
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #8 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

Petco generally takes better care of their bettas than petsmart. Petsmart and walmart also use that blue water while most petcos (if not all) have a spout of room temperature water and do frequent water changes. Again, it varies store to store. At my Petco we carry half-moons, deltas, double tails, veil tails and crown tails. Only ct and vt females. I just recently heard from a groomer in another store mentioned seeing a plaket but he wasnt the best looking.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #9 
TonyK

Kings are a Plakat. I really like them but, I prefer short tail Bettas. I did pick up King this past Tuesday from Petco. I was there last Sunday and saw the one I picked and another King that hadd a blu body with an orange head. I should have just got them both on Sunday. I wanted the orange male too but, he wasn't there. I hope he went to a good home.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

Kings aren't plakat, they're round-tail and mixed halfmoon-DT.

I've got an odd boy, he's a pygmy king. He's wide and powerful but not much bigger than a standard roundtail. The difference is he eats fourteen pellets a day and doesn't gain weight.

He's got a halfmoon's topfin, its huge.

Its within the genome of many of them to become larger, so they're just bred for size.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote