Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #51 
Pitluvs

Sword tails and Guppies are very much a like! When I seen her tail in your video it reminded me of mine, since my Danios nearly tore up one of my Swords tails. Rest assure you did everything you could.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #52 
Sakura8

I had never seen a guppy fry OR a swordtail fry before. But now that I have seen one (or the other, who knows for sure), all I can say is they're so cute!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #53 
coet

I'll get some pictures of my store's maternity ward so you can see guppy, platy, and molly fry. They all look the same, but they're sooo cute!

You need to contact that particular store about what happened, and you CAN take all of the goldfish back, granted they were not the feeder goldfish. They need to know about what happened.
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #54 
Punki

They werent feeder goldfish. Ill let her know. I told her about the disease and how to treat it. Ill let her know she can return the dead ones also. She needs to drive 5 more minutes out and go to petco, petsmart/walmart sucks.
Yeah Sakura but to many ppl say "its just a fish" granted they know im sensitive about it so they listen quietly, i can only hope she takes her time a bit more. shes had those professional people out that build rocks around it, benches of rock around it, planters out planting ect its really beautiful, waterfall and all, just needs to let the water settle and run some tests ya know :))
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #55 
coet

Unfortunately, PetSmart, Petco and Walmart all vary by store. My PetSmart is awesome, but one about an hour and a half away is the total opposite. The PetCos near me suck, but the ones in the lower state are pretty good. It all depends on the management, and none of the companies seem to care about uniformity.

To return the dead ones she needs the, uh... fish. So make sure she freezes it out of courtesy. Too many times I get fish being returned after sitting in the 100 degree heat for an hour or so. It's not fun. You can't identify the fish, and it smells horrible. She needs her receipt also. They'll offer her a replacement or a refund, but I would take the refund and not buy anything from that particular store until they get that under control. If you got issued a survey, or get issued one, take it, and inform corporate of what happened. Corporate doesn't want to lose customers for any reasons. It's a blessing and a curse. Someone practically abandoned their dog at my store tonight, and tomorrow if they don't come get it we have to surrender it to the shelter. We're going to ban this customer from our grooming salon, but corporate might force us to take them back because they want to keep as many customers as possible.
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #56 
Sakura8

Corporate is what's ruining animal care and other, more politically sensitive issues (^_^). :( It's all about the money, I know, I get it, but it's sad nonetheless. That person shouldn't just be banned from the grooming salon, they should be tracked down and fined for animal neglegience.

Punki, you're a best friend to every fish within a fifteen mile radius. And it's sad that after all the time and money your stepmom spent on the pond, it could get ruined and set back months because of one moment of weak impulse.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #57 
Punki

Very true, patience always is a positive thing! She thought "oh ill just buy some cheap goldfish and throw them in, if its not okay ill just buy more once i get the perimeters perfect" But now her pond is a columnaris pool. She has found two other guppies/swordfish? floating today with fuzzyness on their backs but the goldfish are still hanging by the waterfall. They are much bigger so it may take longer to affect them maybe, they swim too fast to get a good look. After talking to her i guess shes going to just count it as a loss and not return them, even though they/or the fry are carrying a disease she feels a bit embarrassed to show up with them after impulsively throwing them in in the first place.
Stores really do vary, most people hate walmart but in all honesty, around here petsmart is GROSS, dead bettas in nasty water, always 70+ in stock, stacked on racks and also stacked between their wall of other fish tanks, displays of two bettas in a half gallon with a glass divider, unimpressive because they are just laying there with fin rot too weak to even flare at each other anymore. All their tanks have fish stuck to the filters, they must lose so much money. The one time i did buy a betta from there was Coraline, she was tiny and ended up having some mysterious issue that caused alot of sadness and grief for me, last week i went there looking for aquarium silicone for my divider for the 10 gallon i bought at PETCO (lol) since id forgotten to buy it at petco also, and they had me wait (no kidding) 35 minutes to be talked to, just to ask that, because a guy came in with a dead fuzzy betta in a bag, she tested his aquarium and it was 4.0 ammonia....... She told him to do a 50% water change once a month on a 10 galon filled with about 10 different fish + a new betta..... Once i asked about the silicone she had me follow her cause she forgot where they stocked it, but never found it, they stopped carrying it i guess, but they are horrible here. =/ My walmart had 0 bettas last time i went but their cups were 2x as big as petsmarts and never nasty, Petco is just fancy here, bettas on shelves in cups with cards between them, clear nonblue, non-poopy water, just showcased really, and behind them is 2G tanks and up. Their printed page is accurate on their care, even suggesting a heater. They are smart, they are honest, give the best suggestions and make the fish look so pretty and healthy that someone would WANT to buy a nice tank and heater to keep them alive.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #58 
Sakura8

Well, goldfish ARE inexpensive . . . maybe they'll be fine, who knows? But I think they can get columnaris. If not that, something else, they're pretty weakly.

Your Petsmart sounds like it needs to be shut down. At least you saved Coraline from a horrible Petsmart fate. If she had been purchased by anyone else, they wouldn't have tried so hard to save her as you did. But honestly, your Petsmart sounds horrific. Mine is bad but not that bad. They don't get in many bettas, only a shelf's worth plus a few females they put in the back. But there's always a dead or sick fish in the tropical fish tanks. My Petco does the best they can, they have a nice display and a nice selection but at least one employee there insists they don't need heaters and will argue about it.

Just googled: yes, goldfish can get columnaris. Also, there's apparently something called saprolegenia that LOOKS like columnaris but shows up around open wounds and sores on injured fish. Maybe that's what the little fry had? I think only a tissue sample can tell for sure.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....is.html#fungus

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-28-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #59 
Punki

Yeah we'll see about her goldfish, i just didnt like her thinking they were disposable and im not a fan of goldfish at all, but they still live so yeah :P They have the most silly shocked looks on their faces 24/7 and are so fat to me XDDD
I think i may snap a few pictures if im ever at petsmart again, Walmart was 99x better then there, not 1 single active betta in a clean cup, just sunkin clamped striped bettas in nasty water. They display a finrotted crowntail laying on its side in a 1/2 gallon divided so proudly, its the first thing you see when you walk in. -.-
Well ive posted an update on my bettas in the betta chat section since you wanted an update on Electra. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #60 
Sakura8

I agree with you, I hate this mindset that people have about fish and them being just disposable. It's very sad. Hopefully her goldfish will pull through despite everything. And yeah, these fancy goldfish are really funny looking. I don't really care for the round fat ones either and they're really prone to swimbladder problems because of the shape they've been bred to have.

I'll head over and check out the Electra update.