Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Question about female betta numbers!

Lets see if I can get this out there without rambling on.

I am getting a female HM with my new AB boy Carnage. I only have 1 other male Betta here. I plan on dividing a 20gal into 4 for 4 males. But my problem is I'll have 1 female Betta.

Now where do I put her? I have a 29gal with 1 docile common pleco, 4 Danios, and 5 Swordtails. I also have a 10gal established tank once the above fish go into my 29gal. Could I put a single female in with these guys? If not, could 5 females go with these so she would be comfortable? Getting rid of the fish I have already is not an option, they have been through h*ll with me over the last 2 months. They have earned their keep lol My only issue is I only have a 10gal to spare, and a 5gal. Help?

Another thing is my Danios are quiet hyper, but not fin nippers. I cannot leave them in the 10gal as they need the horizontal space to swim in the 29gal. They came with my first tank so I am kinda partial to the buggers.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #2 
Thunderloon

Never female with male.
Never male with male.

You can probably get away with putting her in with the 29 but watch to make sure she doesn't harass the swordtails.

Are you going to be dividing a 20L long tank for four males? I'd suggest you divide it into thirds then use the 10 for whichever boy is too agressive.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

That's out of the question. I cannot have 20 different tanks set up here :) I have 4 males. 1 here, 1 shipping and 2 on hold and payed for so sadly I have to make a 4 divided 20gal. I see many tanks on Google that are 20gal split into 6+, I'm really not too worried. If there are issues, that boy would get his own tank and I would look into buying another to fill the 4th spot.

I have kept both male and female Betta before, although only one of each at a time. My female always had her own tank, my male shared a community tank with Silver Dollars. But I have never tried to own multiple females. This was years ago when you couldn't find a female Betta in a pet store and one was shipped by mistake and I got her. Now there are many different options to get females.

My only other option is to have the females in the 29gal and keep my others in 10gal which would be cruel. Only thing is I need that 10gal for a sick tank/QT. Like I said though, I can't have 29g, 10, 5g, and 20g up and running. We use filter/heater/lights and I really don't have the plugs for that. I also have two toddlers who love to feed the fish, so they are all in my room hahaha
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
scootshoot

She'll love it in the 29, go for it. Far as compatibility in community tanks there are always exceptions even with the most compatible species so just go for it and keep an eye out for any trouble.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I think we're going to hold off until August (I didn't get my boy's sibling/mate) and give the 29gal to a sorority :) My swords and Danios can stay in the 10gal if they don't get along with the Bettas.

Now to find 5-6+ females at once, without breaking the pocket book that are all the same size.