Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #11 
GreenTea

There's no filter and I rearrange decor every time I do a water change, which is 1 (minimum) to 3 times (max) a week
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #12 
GreenTea

Oh and he can't see any other bettas or any reflections unless I put up a mirror for him to flare, which I stopped. You can see in the "before" photo that his tail is a little uneven, that's from where it healed when it split from his flaring in the divided tank.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #13 
Sakura8

None of my bettas, even my HM, have ever been tailbiters but as soon as I post this I'm sure one will start right in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #14 
Luimeril

he may just not like it. >.>; it might be too heavy for him. or, like how some humans bite their nails, it may just be a nervous habit. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #15 
derpmeister

Definitely looks like tail biting. My guy used to be the worst tail biter, I would catch him in the act all the time. I think it was because he thought the tail was another betta out of the corner of his eye. My other theory was that he was lonely, because he would mostly do it when I had to go away for a day or two, or while I was in school. I started spending more time around the tank and I noticed it stopped.

You may never catch your betta in the act because they can literally shred it in about 2 seconds flat. They are so sneaky and quick!

Unfortunately when bettas start biting it often becomes a bad habit. All you can do is keep the water pristine to prevent infection, as others here have said. However, to give you some hope, my betta stopped tail biting after a few months and hasn't done it since then and never contracted fin rot due to water changes, Stress Coat (it helps heal their fins a bit faster) and a little aquarium salt.

Good luck. :)

Last edited by derpmeister; 06-27-2011 at 12:43 AM.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #16 
GreenTea

Ok thanks all for your input! Are his fins really red because the tips like that are infected?

I'm so bummed his fins are beautiful! YoshesMom and I were going to exchange bettas, her adopt my MG and me take one of her plakats...I don't know if she'll still want him if his tails is shredded =[
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #17 
Luimeril

to me, a shredded tail doesn't make them less beautiful, and doesn't take away from them as fish. Ichi's still his beautiful, active, friendly self, he just has less tail. today, he even surprised me with blue shine to his scales that i never noticed before! Dante used to annoy me to no end(he once bit off literally, half his tail! right down the middle, from tip, to near the base, leaving half of it regular-sized, the other half was half sized), but he was still my grumpy boy. i'm sure she won't mind that he has shredded fins. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #18 
Sakura8

A bit of salt and Stress Coat and he'll heal up. She may have to do a bit of work with him, too, though. And yes, I think the red means mild infection/fin rot. But only mild so water changes and all that should get him right very soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #19 
GreenTea

That's sweet =] I hope not. She has a beautiful gray/purple plakat I love. She said MG is the only color she doesn't have. She runs a rehoming/adoption thing for bettas but said she would take the MG for herself and not let him out of her sight. Makes me think she loved his fins too. He's a super delta. He's the betta in my avatar too. I love this little guy! I haven't told her yet.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #20 
Sakura8

If she loves his fins, she'll be willing to work on them herself. And if he turns out to be a chronic tailbiter, which we have no way of knowing right now, she's going to HAVE to work on his fins at some point. But even with the fins just a little tattered you can still see his gorgeous MG coloring perfectly.