Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

filter needed?

Im breeding my plakat pair in a four inch shallow setup. the heat and water chemistry is under control as well and the heavy planting but my question is; is filtration this early a must?
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #2 
Smr2892

No filter is needed. When the fry are old enough you may want to consider a sponge filter. But for now, it's not needed. Water changes once the fry are free swimming is a must, though! Some people wait till the fry are two weeks old, others start as soon as they're able to swim.
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #3 
Landon21
Banned

Ok so how do i keep the water clean in the aquarium with out disturbing the nest and fry?
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Basically you don't - not the first few days anyway. Besides, I have found that a bit of "natural" (not from fish/food waste) dirt/gunk means micro critters for newly hatched fry. Once we begin to feed and fish wastes + uneaten food begins to build up, that's when cleaning is necessary.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #5 
HD4life

I use a turkey Baseter to suck up gunk that settles on the bottom while the eggs are in the nest, it helps a lot even after the fry are free swimming, the suction isn't near as strong as siphoning so even young fry can swim away. I usually do not do water changes til 2 weeks old but instead, add a gallon of water (same temp and conditioned) through a drip line every few days after they are free swimming and then turn on the filter.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #6 
copperarabian

I read that when the fry are developing the leviathan organ they need a filter to break up anything that forms on the surface, is that true? or can you just move the surface around every once in a while.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #7 
HD4life

As far as I know it's more about warm humid air above the water to help the labyrinth develop properly. Also if you have a full hood or cover the tank with plastic wrap and you shouldn't get any film on the water.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the warm, humid air helps to keep the nest from dissolving.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote