Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #1 
Neil D

Talking Shrimp snails and Bettas....QUICK:-)

So, pretty soon I'm gonna go to the LFS to see some ghost/cherry shrimp or apple snails. I have a divided 10G with two male Bettas in it, so I was wondering if this would be a good idea. Both my males can be aggressive, but aren't usually. I've seen them be calm and be evil! Should I just try it? If it doesn't work can I put the snail and/or shrimp into an unheated, unfiltered jug? (1/2 gallon) Please respond quickly. Thx in advance.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #2 
Punki

No answers here, i actually have a similar plan, i have a male/female divided and wanted ghost shrimp in their tank so *bump*
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #3 
TonyK

Can't help here either but, same situation divided 10 a bunch of algae starting to build and don't want to scrape it.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Shrimp and/or snails will be fine in the divided 10gal tanks, however, as you know every Betta is different in their tolerance of tank mates...have lots of cover for the shrimp and/or snails as well as a back up plan....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 
Neil D

Decided not to get the snails cos they like cooler water, and no shrimp either cos I'm almost 99.99999% sure theyll get devoured. BUT I GOT THE API TEST KIT im so happy
Old 06-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #6 
PinkBetta264

Neil...I've tried it. Out of the 6 males I have, 2 of them will hunt a shrimp down and kill it. I learned that lesson with the first boy, went and bought some nice cherry shrimp paid as much as the betta, all seemed well for a couple of days..then done. Then with my new boys I thought I would try it again but this time I got the 10/$2 ghost shrimp, skipped the first tank with Wally the shrimp eater. Divided them up amoung the boys tanks. Dallas killed all three of his within a day. I have one in with Harley and they seem to get along fine, except when I put a chunk of algae waffer in, Harley goes after it and the shrimp says "OH NO Buddy" that is mine and he will actually latch on to Harleys fins. This worries me. Now the remainder went into a divided 5g with Wrangler and Shannon but there are plenty of live plants and all seem to get along fine.
As for the snails, I have 2 of those blue mystery snails, so far nobody seems to mess with them, and they are always busy cleaning something.
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #7 
Punki

Another question, can the ghost shrimp carry a disease into my tank that fish can catch? Should they be quarantined? Sorry if thats a silly question XD I actually divided my male/female with two dividers and between them is plants and sand and i want to put a few ghosts in that area so the bettas dont eat them/i can see how they react, but i dont want them having some fish disease that my bettas could get. The area is kind of small, maybe a 1-1.5 gallon, but that way i can see if they even care about them XD
Old 06-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 
Neil D

Always QT. Always. Even decor. Even plants. QT, all the way. But they should be fine in the middle space.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #9 
Punki

I usually soak decor overnight to make sure it doesnt change colors of water or ink out, and plants get qt to make sure theres no snails, but i wasnt too sure about a totally different type of water pet. Good to know, thank you. Ill put them in a 1-3 gallon for awhile to make sure they dont die/carry nastys. I keep reading they NEED a cycled tank though, i wonder if an uncycled temp 3 gallon would kill them, id do the water changes, but i still worry. Thanks for clearing that up :)