Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Enough (or, learning one's limits)!

I have decided to not get any more bettas for the forseeable future.

No, some tragedy has not befallen my sorority. No, I am not deathly ill. I have just decided that I am HAPPY with what I have.

Although the thought of a mega sorority was tempting at first, I started to realize that with upwards of 25 bettas in the tank would make it really hard to keep track of the health and welfare of each and every betta.

The other thing is all problems related to fish keeping (from water changes to illness prevention) increase with a large tank.

I went to craig's list today to post my 60 gallon for sale... and noticed all the big set-ups people were trying to sell. Not only were those set-ups originally expensive to full equip, but time-consuming to maintain (those water changes again).

So, I've decide to draw a line in the aquarium sand, and not cross it... for now. It will be a while before I can even afford a large set-up and if I do, I want to be done correctly and in a cost effective manner. I also want to have a system in place to make the water changes easier (actually have that part worked out).

Just so everyone out there knows... it's okay to say "enough"... its not like you're saying "no more ever"... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 
Luimeril

i was happy with my 8 for a while. it's hard work, caring for 8 small tanks. add onto that, i was dealing with Caroline and Chappy, who were ill, now it seems like Cup's in his final days, and Caroline's STILL ill. then, i got Theo, the blind betta. shoot, Zidane's not even in a proper tank(but he seems to enjoy his sterilite bin, so as long as he's happy, i'm fine with a ghetto-looking tank). then, i started to want another. i'd LOVE to have the golden yellow DT female Chard's selling on aquabid, but if i can't get her, i'll be happy with a pet store female(i'm saving them from a painful death by the hands of an inexperienced breeder who, according to the guy in charge of the fish, buys up almost every female, every week. x-X).

my dream is to get a pair of divided 20 gallons, but if i can't do that, i'd be fine with a few divided 10's, or even just a book shelf to house all my tanks on. 8/9 tanks is alot to care for, but it's something i enjoy doing, and i love seeing how happy they are after a good water change. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #3 
Abby

I have 4 tanks and will be setting up more. but in saying that one new one will replace my two female tanks.
one of the current girl tanks will be divided for 2 males
the other turned into a spawn tank.
I will also set up plastic tub for grow out
and a bay tank for display :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
PitGurl

It is a lot of work. Water changes are a drag sometimes. Today I bought a 29 gallon and another 2.5 gallon from petco. I wanted a couple 20 longs but someone came in and bought almost all of the tanks! I was told someone is setting up an aquarium shop. I tried to think of that as a positive thing, possible bettas? lol. But hey, I got a $55 tank for $29, not bad I'd say.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #5 
laughing

I always dream of having my place filled with tanks, but then I sit down and watch my 2 now and think if I ever got a bunch of them, I know I wouldn't appreciate them as much any more and would find them WORK rather than a highly enjoyable hobby.

My current plan is to make a sorority with my dream fish as a community tank (probably 45-55 gallons total), then have probably (2) 10 gallons or (1) 10 and a 20 long split. That way I can have 5-6 males, too. Then I only have 3 tanks to take care of. I think the community tank would be the hardest to maintain.

Right now I have (2) 2.5 gallons holding my male and female, and a 10 gallon set-up with my balloon mollie & tetras. That's it. And I truly enjoy them so stinkin' much. I love watching them, redecorating, and upgrading them.

If I had 10 male bettas all in separate tanks I know I'd be unhappy... I know it. I like to spoil my fishies and constantly redecorate and keep upgrading their lives, it just wouldn't be fair. Already I have a hard time buying things like test kits and such I wouldn't be able to handle a large sorority and that many individual male betttas...

I'd rather stick to my water changes that take less than 15 minutes, thank you very much!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #6 
RiverStoneBetta

I'm happy with my 3 boys and my 3 goldfish. Strangely enough, I plan on downsizing Quinn's tank to a 5.5, donating my Cories to a friend, and upgrading the goldfish tank to a 30 gallon. Quinn might be a little frazzled going from a 10 gallon to almost half that size, but the goldfish can't stay in their 15 gallon for much longer, and let's face it, Cories are messy eaters. With them out of the way, I won't have to vaccuum the gravel every two days.

Beyond the upgrade and downgrade, I'm happy with my setups.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #7 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I know I wouldn't appreciate them as much any more and would find them WORK rather than a highly enjoyable hobby.

If I had 10 male bettas all in separate tanks I know I'd be unhappy... I know it. I like to spoil my fishies and constantly redecorate and keep upgrading their lives, it just wouldn't be fair. Already I have a hard time buying things like test kits and such I wouldn't be able to handle a large sorority and that many individual male betttas...

I'd rather stick to my water changes that take less than 15 minutes, thank you very much!

LOL AT THE MOMENT:
2 x 5gal 3 fish, 2 fish
1 HUGE tank all divided up holds 9 (soon to hold 10 males)
1 6 bay tank with three fish in it

water changes on the 6 bay is easy (no substrate) the males large tank has chunky gravel and is quite easy to do
the smaller tanks are still easy

being all planted i dont do more then 60-75% water changes so i dont screw up the cycles but i use RO water so its chemical free and all up the tank maintence on ALL tanks takes about 1 - 1.5 hrs i hook up my music and watch the fish dance with me :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

Wow I only have 3 bettas and I'm done. And I think once these bettas finally pass I'll have no more than 1 at a time in a 2.5-3 gallon tank. The 10 gallon divided 3 ways just takes too long to maintain.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

I've had to do this in the past, and I'm getting to that point now. I have pet rats, and once I reached 10, I had to say no more, for now. I now have 5 left and I enjoy them more because there are less to look after.

I have 3 tanks on the go, 11 fish and 1 coming tomorrow. Then I have 2 more coming soon and hopefully a sorority of females. Almost 20. Then I hope to have one spawn, which means I have to keep some of those too. So for now I have to say no more, so I have room for others down the road.

Good for you, it takes a strong person to stop and say "I have enough" or "This is a good number".

Last edited by Pitluvs; 06-28-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #10 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I've had to do this in the past, and I'm getting to that point now. I have pet rats, and once I reached 10, I had to say no more, for now. I now have 5 left and I enjoy them more because there are less to look after.

I have 3 tanks on the go, 11 fish and 1 coming tomorrow. Then I have 2 more coming soon and hopefully a sorority of females. Almost 20. Then I hope to have one spawn, which means I have to keep some of those too. So for now I have to say no more, so I have room for others down the road.

Good for you, it takes a strong person to stop and say "I have enough" or "This is a good number".
Thank you. :) I think it is more about being self-aware. It is an absorbing hobby, with many sorts of goals, but I think I've reached my goals.

I may do an apple tank conversion for my BF, at some point and get him his own male fish to keep in his office. He's gone from "What the heck are you doing, with these fish?" to "Oooo, can I feed them bugs?" :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote