Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
tutzone

My new betta Twilight

I just recently got a new betta after the passing of my last. At first I thought he was a veiltail. But he was small and it looked like all his fins were together. But now after a few short days he looks like a double tail? It does not appear that his tail was ripped or torn off. It just looks like it split? Do double tails start off with full tails? In case it was ripped I added aquarium salt to the tank. I have a couple pics on my albums of him. Ill take pics of him after work today and post
tutzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

mm from what i see from your album.. thats not a doubletail. its a split ><
with double tails its usually pretty obvious, theyr like 2 separate lobes of tail and usually have shorter more compact looking bodies.
just keep your water clean by doing water changes according to your tank size.. since you mentioned that you added salt, just make sure you dont over add it, since salt doesnt evaporate!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 
tutzone

Ah I wonder how he tore his fin. Hrm. I bet he cut it zippin through all the driftwood I have in my tank. He is constantly bugging my bushy nose pleco who is 3 times his size then running when the pleco smacks him with his tail lol. Since Twilight is hurt I'll do 2 water changes a week. Will his fin patch back up?
tutzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 
masshiimarro

mm... depending on the size of your tank, i would frequent the water changes. AQ salt would help as well. 1 tsp per gal. try not to let him flare, new growth is delicate; you dont want the fins to split again. you can also try feeding him high protein food ie, frozen bloodworms and such. his fins should heal soon, given that he only split it. if he got it chewed up w/ chunks missing,, it would take MUCH longer..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote