Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #1 
DazedBetta

New Thinking Of Breeding

Hi ive had three betta fish growing up now im older and they have all died and my girlfriend moved in with me and has a male betta fish and i own a female so about a weekish went by and i noticed him building a nest and thought about setting up a breeding tank. ive been reading up online on how to set up a tank and introducing the fish and i want to make sure i do it right and know everything that i need to know. the problem that i have come to is every person seems to have their own way that works for them i was hoping someone could give me a hand by either giving me some details on how they set their tanks up or even a site that has worked for them with useful information that i could use. thanks for the help.
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....breeding this species can be a lot of fun and rewarding.....as you have found out in your research there are lots and lots of ways to spawn this species...no single method is better than another IMO...some may be easier than others and often it is finding what works for you, your breeders and supplies you have available to you.....

You also need to gain good understanding of spawning triggers, normal behavior in regards to pre-spawning, spawning and after care....rational behind proper conditioning of the breeders etc.....you also need a plan and goals...what do you want....are you spawning your Betta to gain experience or are you wanting to create something special.....nothing wrong with hands-on experience IMO as long as you are responsible and it sounds like you are....

You need a feeding plan for the fry and housing as well as what you are going to do with the offspring if you are successful and have 100's of offspring to deal with, feed, house and find homes for

You need to understand and know how to cull fry too....this is part of breeding any species of fish....

Tells us what you have on hand as far as supplies and money willing to spend...tank size, additives, heaters, thermometer, live plants, feeding plans to condition the breeders and fry foods...etc and tell us more about your breeding pair.....and we can better point you to a spawning method

What methods have you researched....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 
DazedBetta

so far what i have researched wasnt very detailed about the feeding part gave little info but wasnt nearly as detailed as id have liked. as for the supplies i was planing on picking a method and picking them up once i knew excatly what i need and have a good idea of what to do and when to do it so i dont mess up and harm my fish. my breeding pair isnt the greatest match as i have found out but for me i think theyll be great not excatly going for best look or best colors just kinda want experience and see if i can then ill start going for a more rare fish colorwise. the male is a Crown Tail and the female is a Delta Tail and is still small (gonna wait awhile before i introduce them size isnt close enough for my liking)
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Could you look into a local breeder and see if they have a suitable pair for sale instead? I had a local breeder make a very good point to me. If you breed and your spawn ends up being 200 Bettas, are mutts easier to find homes for or pure bred bettas? Bettas that are pleasing to the eye with certain finnage will pull him homes easier than Bettas that are dull and of unknown finnage. I personally have decided to wait until I get a perfect pair, and then breed. Meanwhile, I am learning all I can until that day :) Good luck either way! I have no advice other than that lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 
DazedBetta

i have thought about that and a family friend of mine owns a small pet store and they dont normally carry bettas but i asked him if he had known anything about breeding and also asked him if he would be able to help me find homes for them if needed. so if there does end up with alot of fry i got a plan only thing wrong with that plan is just like you said the pures are easier to sell then muts but its all still a work in progress yet thanks for advice
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

But think about it, if you sell at a petstore and you have pure bettas, you could be putting a name out there for yourself :) Best thing with fish is not to jump into it, but plan it out and pick the best. Even if it's two pet store betta and they will go back to the petstore, at least pick two of the same fin type and understand some genetics so you will know. Would suck to end up with 200 red bettas, when the parents are blue (example) lol

Either way you came to the right place, I am new to Bettas and have been reading for days. This place helps tons.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #7 
DazedBetta

yeah i guess your right i never even thought about the differnce between buying a pure online or at a pet store we got both our bettas at pet stores guess it would be best overall to go and do it the correct way. whats the diffence between online betta pure and ones at pet stores i never thought about it or to even look it up. im just assumeing its probly a differnce like a mass breeder and health issues or is there more to it?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #8 
DazedBetta

i have decided for feed i choose baby brine shrimp for the first 1-2months and i was gonna pick up a breeding tank tonight cause theres a sale going on by my house and figured might as well save a few bucks and just have it ready for when i get a more suitable pair but im a bit confused on size some sites say they can breed to a 5g-10g tank size....is that too small for some reason i thought it would be around 10-20 what would be the best size tank to pick for a first time spawn?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #9 
Creat

I like ten gallons I feel sometimes a 20 is a little to big but its all about preference and 20 gives you more grow-out space for the fry.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Breeder Bettas are bred for a purpose, to make the type of Betta the breeder is working with better (like fins, or color/pattern, health) where pet stores usually have stock that is mass produced to ship out and sell cheap. Some pet store bettas are not as healthy either, and receive improper care. I learned today my Venom has never seen a pellet of food YET, they fed him blood worms only. No wonder I can't get the fish to eat. Breeder Bettas are fed well, and taken care of properly. For the most part anyways. I see it as breeding anything else lol Always breed from good stock and you'll have good stock. Besides, anything to buy another Betta from AQ or a Breeder lol Sorry to sound pushy, but you'll end up breeding with pure betta anyways once you're tired of the pet store fish.