Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 
BunnyHime

Talking How long does it take you to do a 100% water change?

Hi everyone,

I just did a 100% water change for my 5 gallon tank and it took me nearly an hour...lol but a reason for that is that I don't have a siphon/vac so I carry the 5 gallon but it's a bit heavy so I take my time scooping the water into a small bucket. Then I rinse all the rocks/glass marbles so its nice and clean ^^ and scrub the tank and the decorations too.
When I had my 2.5 gallon it took me around 25 minutes since I could carry the whole thing XD

So I'm just wondering, how long does it usually take you to do a 100% water change? (depending on your tank size of course :o)
BunnyHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #2 
Super Fish

10 minutes? His bowl is fairly small though, barebottom and with one plant and a rock. Very minimilistic. He gets moved to a smaller container with fresh water, his bowl gets dumped and scrubbed then refilled. Conditioner goes in and back he goes. Water changes are done every other day at least though so the time adds up.

With my 20 gallon, it is cycled so I do not do 100% water changes. 30%ish per change, one or twice a week.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #3 
gbose

BunnyH,

I usually do 50-80% water changes on my 5G and it takes maybe 10 minutes. I do suggest a gravel vac -- then you don't need to wash your substrate manually. In fact you shouldn't was it too thoroughly -- you'll lose your beneficial bacteria.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #4 
danifacetastic

It used to take me about 15 minutes to do a 100% on my 1 gallon and it takes about the same amount of time to do a 50% on my 10 gallon. With a 5 gallon I really suggest getting a water siphon. The one I got was pretty cheap...it was only $7 at PetSmart.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote