Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #1 
annamae07

Exclamation HELP! Fin Rot or Fin Split getting worst after 50% water change

I woke up to find my halfmoon Bastien, losing his dorsal fin. I did a 50% water change and cut out a plastic plant that could have been causing the problem. An hour ago I checked on him again and its only gotten worst.

I just went out to the pet store and bought some Maracyn and a gallon plastic bowl. The woman at the pet store said it was better to just let the medicine work inside his tank cause it needs the filtration instead of putting him in a bowl.

I thought about putting him in his own one gallon bowl for a little while so i could clean out his tank better because even though I used my vacuum cleaner there was stuff still floating in his water.

The medicine is in powder form and requires two packets per 10 gallon. I have a 5 gallon tank so the math is easy enough for my tank but not for the one gallon bowl. What should I do leave him in his tank and let the medicine work or put him in the bowl and clean.

On top of that I'm also not sure on when I should replace his filter pad or when or how to clean it. So that could be another issue.

I've been been doing constant one gallon changes lately because of a high ammonia found do to it being in my tap water. I have been using spring water which has a really bad ph and alkalinity for him. So after calling around I got some better water from petco... but it would be to much of a drastic change to just administer it and I also dont know how good that would be if i want the medicine to work well.
annamae07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 
TonyK

I have that going on with my veil tail. What I did was transfer him to a 2 gallon jug. I am using Epsom Salt(1 teaspoon / gallon) and I am changing the water every day. I started Saturday and his fins are looking better.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
I have that going on with my veil tail. What I did was transfer him to a 2 gallon jug. I am using Epsom Salt(1 teaspoon / gallon) and I am changing the water every day. I started Saturday and his fins are looking better.
Epsom salt is really for bloating and constipation though, not for fin rot and fin tears. Aquarium salt will work much better. But the best thing you can do is keep the water clean, which you are doing.

annamae, don't listen to the pet store lady. Treat him in the gallon bowl. The filtration in your tank will actually take OUT the medicine unless you remove the carbon from the filter. The medicine can also kill off the bacteria in your filter so you would have to re-cycle your tank.

Here is what was suggested to me for treating in anything smaller than a 5g. Get a 1g jug and put 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Add the medicine and shake/mix well. Use 1/2 a cup of this mixture for the gallon of water in the bowl. Save the mixture because you will need it to redose after water changes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 
annamae07

Thank you guys for your responses. I put a gallon of the pet store water in his tank since it has better levels for him adding a small amount of it every 15 mins so he can slowly adapt to it. I checked the filter I had recently added and I believe the biggest problem was that. Even though it was a new filter put in right before I got him it was packed. So I added a new one and this morning the fin rot has appeared to stop spreading.

I havent added the medicine yet because it says I need to have the water in certain diameters, so i'm currently in the process of slowly adding another gallon of water. But now I am unsure of adding the medicine since it might kill the bacteria although it is a new filter so would it be okay then?

The medicine states that a new filter might absorb some of the medicine so its better to use an old one. I dont mind if it absorbs most of it I think I would be better for him to have some instead of none.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Actually using medications especially antibiotic for the wrong reason, wrong dosage, wrong duration can make thing worse not better.....you create resistant.....

I would Qt the Betta in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76F range and start aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days....

Pre mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this water for the 100% daily water changes while in QT for 10 days.....

Can you post a pic.......Once you treat we need to find the cause or it will keep happening.......in the 5gal filtered tank....how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, any tank mates, baffle on the filter, how long has the tank been set up....you have ammonia in your source water.....correct....what is the ammonia level of the tap or source water and what type of testing product are you using....what kind of dechlorinator are you using.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 
annamae07

I dont know how to get the tannins, but what I did was use a little bit of the water I was using before (clean) and mixed it with a majority of petco water (which i added a tsp of aquarium salt). Put it in the gallon bowl and added one of the two thermometer I had in my tank in to test the temp of then water. My room right now naturally makes the water around 82 degrees but the new water was about 10 degrees off. So I took the water outside and I sat with it for a while till it read 82 degrees. Came in and the water went down 2 degrees so I put him in the container that he came in with his tank water and let it float in the bowl for 15 mins slowly adding the new water. I feel really bad for how I get him into the bowl. I pour his container through his fish net and let him fall into it that way then put the net into the bowl. I have then put a piece of knee high panty hose on the top so he cant jump and cut a hole big enough for me to put food in.

Original water was: Spring water (discovered my tap had too much ammonia), 2.5 ml of atison's betta spa per gallon, 1 drop of tetra algae control per gallon, and 1--2 drops of seachem prime, and 5 or less ml per betta bowl plus a gallon.

Now I'll only be adding the salt and betta bowl plus because there is no need for prime or algae control if i'm doing daily 100% cleanings and since the atison's betta spa says no salt due to there already be sodium chloride and I dont want to over due it, but will switch the salt and spa for when he gets better.

He mainly eats hikari betta bio-gold, and occasionally will fed him topfin color enhancing betta bits because that was what he was fed at the pet store. I give him 2-4 pellets a day.

Does this sound alright and how can I make the daily water changes less stressful for him?

I will add the pics on a separate reply
Old 06-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #7 
annamae07

Apparently I dont know how to add pics...
Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #8 
Sakura8

When you reply to a thread down at the bottom of the page, click on the Go Advanced tab. Once there, find the little paper clip at the top over the text box (where you write your message) and click that. It's next to the smiley button. Click Choose File and when you've selected your pic, click Upload. Repeat as many times as necessary, then close the window. The pics will show up when you click Post or Preview Post.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #9 
annamae07

1: Overall tank
2: Bubbles that are all around the back side but I dont think this is a bubble nest he is making, so it really has me concerned cause it just started happening two days ago
3: My baffled filter with two old plastic containers that were filed smooth, as you can tell needs cleaned.
4: His quarantine bowl with thermometer and a flower I had put there that was from his tank so he has something interesting? Tell me if the flower is a bad idea
5: Trying to show a pic of how bad he the rot has gotten
6: An umbrella plant I took out 3 days ago since I found out it wasnt fully aquatic and could problems
7: A plastic plant I would like to add since I got rid of the live plants.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #10 
Sakura8

1: Overall tank
Nice, it looks roomy.

2: Bubbles that are all around the back side but I dont think this is a bubble nest he is making, so it really has me concerned cause it just started happening two days ago
If you haven't changed any filter cartridges for a while, sometimes protein builds up and causes a bubbly film, otherwise I would say it's a nest he was working on and it just got moved around by the filter current.

3: My baffled filter with two old plastic containers that were filed smooth, as you can tell needs cleaned.
Have you ever seen him catch his tail on the filter baffles? Filed smooth is good but sometimes you just never know with a betta tail. ^_^

4: His quarantine bowl with thermometer and a flower I had put there that was from his tank so he has something interesting? Tell me if the flower is a bad idea
Aww, I like the flower, it's like bringing flowers to someone in the hospital. Get well soon!

5: Trying to show a pic of how bad he the rot has gotten
A little blurry, hard to tell. It can be so hard to get a good pic of a betta because they're always on the move.

6: An umbrella plant I took out 3 days ago since I found out it wasnt fully aquatic and could problems
That's good because it could die and the ammonia from it would mess up the tank. I've gotten several live plants that I was told were aquatic when they weren't.

7: A plastic plant I would like to add since I got rid of the live plants.
Looks good. I bet he'd like to sleep on it like a little betta hammock.

It looks good, you're doing great. For the water changes, as long the replacement water is within a few degrees, you're fine but that 10 degree difference might have really shocked him, so good call taking it outside to warm up. For the acclimation, an easier way is to have his container half full of the old water and you can just dribble a little bit of the new water in every five minutes or so until it is full, then pour him in.