Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 
vette91

Introducing the Female

Do any of you have any methods that you like to use? I plan on breeding here in a few weeks and that is one part that I have yet to figure out. I'm starting to condition my pair(I will be on vacation for a week so the conditioning will be put on hold, but good food never hurt).
Does cutting a plastic 2 liter off at the top and bottom work? I'd place her in there and then just pull it up one the pair is deemed ready?
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm bumping this up hoping that someone will answer your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #3 
Fish on Fire

That's basically the method I used when I used to breed bettas as a kid. I would put the male in the 10 gallon breeding tank, 6 inches or so of water, place a ripe and well conditioned female in a glass lantern tube so I can slide it right out to release the female, and let the male build up his bubble nest before releasing her after a few days. They would usually breed right away but sometimes it takes a little bit more time.
Fish on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

I use one of those guppy breeder boxes to house her in while the male builds a nest. That way the male can "smell" the pheromones of the female. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #5 
ChelseaK

I use a 15 gallon tub, filled about 6 inches or so and for this last mating, I floated both the male and the female at the same time and released the male just a little bit before the female. I had lots of hiding places too and the pair was actually quite friendly towards each other, I didn't have any ripped fins (I think these two were from the same spawn as well, may have had something to do with it). But yeah, anyway, I introduced the male and female at the same time.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote