Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #1 
Johnificent

Smile Setting up a new tank!

Hi guys! I'm very excited to announce that another betta is about to come! Well.... not one from aquabid, nothing fancy, just a typical trip to petco. I'm going to go when my dad says we pass by petco, i dont know when that's going to happen, but i hope its soon! I have a mini bow 2.5 right now with me, its not opened yet, my dad bought it for me when we found out it was 50% off. so i would like some suggestions on what kind of betta you think i should get, and what i should put into my tank to make a nice look to it :D Thanks!
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #2 
lunawatsername

haha cool! :D unfortunately most normal pet stres usually only carry really common types of bettas. mostly veiltail, some (like mine) have crowntails, and they occasionally have more than that. i guess it depends on where you are. i think you should just go for whatever really catches your eye

for what to put in it, to me thats really based on your personal taste. like me, i like a little more natural looking when i can get it. no signs or anything like that, just pieces of wood (real or not), plants (if fake, realistically colored lol) stuff like that. make sure you dont overcrowd, while still giving your new little friend a good hiding place, of course :) if you want gravel, they come in so many colors that you shouldnt have a problem getting one you like (i actually got a mixture of green, blue and black. not my first choice, but i got an entire 3 gallon bucket full of it for like 3 bucks, so i couldnt really complain lol)

so, are you thinking you want a boy or a girl? any names in mind? (i love names lol)

anyway, i hope you get your new little one soon, and update with pics if you can! :)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #3 
iLovededYou

I don't know what kind of petstore lunawhatsername goes to, but my local petco always has a huge selection of all different types and colors of bettas. Of course, they're not always healthy, but you never know what you might find! Try and look for a young, healthy one that moves on its own when you approach it. My double tail did, he was beautiful even in the little cup at the store, and now that he has a better home, he is even more stunning! I'm sure almost any one will liven up and color up more in a bigger, cleaner tank, so really, find any one you love(:
iLovededYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 
lunawatsername

haha mine actually has a pretty good selection, veiltails, plakats, crowntails, kings, even halfmoons and deltas sometimes. i have just heard A LOT of people on here say that they have really poor choices, and i dont know if it would be the same wherever he lives. i agree that anything you get will usually get much prettier once you get it home. i actually pretty recently got a veiltail female from a petco that had finrot so bad it had no tail. well, its healing up nicely now, and it looks like i have a double tail! lol

and by the way, ILovededYou, I LOVE YOUR NAME! LOL GIR!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #5 
Ashleigh

Can't wait to see him/her! If I were you I'd get a girl because I find they have more personality and do more than just flare all day -__- . Well that's what my male does anyway. As for tail types I reckon the cutest female is crowntail, and the best male would be halfmoon. Depends on what's there though :D
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #6 
lunawatsername

ashleigh- i totally agree!!! i love my males of course, but the females has so much more outgoing personalities, much more interactive IMO. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #7 
Ashleigh

Haha, my female fighting swim bladder disorder is currently ignoring me and swimming into her cave whenever I come over, I don't blame her, I tend to bump things when I'm near her :/
Old 06-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #8 
lunawatsername

aw poor girl :/ hope she gets better soon!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #9 
Ashleigh

Yeah me too. She better D:<
Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #10 
lunawatsername

thats the same attitude i had when i got my little one with no fins. i didnt give her the option of not getting better lol :)