Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 
Eiyer

Feeding Questions

I know this question gets asked a lot, and I've looked around everywhere and it says to feed them once a day, max twice and to skip One day each week to give their digestive system time to relax. But my question is, why does my male Betta always look like he is begging for food? He does this thing where he'll go up to the top right of my tank (10 gallon) and just float there until I feed him. Once I feed him he gulps it down like he is starving, then goes back to playing and swimming around. For some reason he just likes to stare at me all day, doesn't really do much else but look at me, lol.
Eiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Eiyer and welcome to the forum. Feeding is kind of a case by case thing. It depends on the size of your betta and how active it is and what kind of food you're feeding. The real key to feeding a betta is to feed small meals often and to have a variety of foods for them. I feed my bettas Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, two pellets once a day, a tiny pinch of frozen bloodworms once a day, and either freeze-dried bloodworms or two more pellets for a total of three meals a day. I fast them every now and then, mostly when I remember. Believe me, some people would say I'm overfeeding them.

Your betta looks like he's begging because he IS begging. Bettas are notorious for being little piggies and if we fed them every time they begged, they'd be fat as golfballs and would probably pass away within days. Just resist his begging and he'll eventually get over it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 
Eiyer

Lol, thanks for the advice, he is begging now. He is a very active Betta. He seems happy. Although he no longer makes his bubble nest since I moved him from his Betta bowl to a 10 gallon tank. He is very bright blue and red and likes to spend his sleeping time under a bridge I bought at WalMart. He will NOT eat pellets, sometimes he'll bite one but immediately spits it out and it is almost like he is giving me a "you got to be kidding me" look, lol. I don't have any Bloodworms or anything yet, but he eats BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes, he seems to enjoy them quite a bit. I also got 2 little minnows from the creek, at least I think they are minnows, they are REALLY SMALL. He likes to chase them around too, but they are to fast for him.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm glad he will eat the flakes, usually it's the other way around. Flakes can dirty up the water pretty fast so be sure to remove anything he hasn't eaten after 5-10 minutes. And definitely, when you get the chance, try the frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms, he will love them.

Good thing he can't catch the minnows or they'd be little minnow dinner.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #5 
Eiyer

Yeah, I have Periwinkles in there too (the water snails in the creek) when I first put them in there he'd try to peck at them, but I guess he's gotten used to them, he doesn't bother them now. I try to keep this tank as clean as possible. I use my fish net all the time to scoop up stuff I see floating around, and I peck the gravel to get other stuff to float up so I can grab it. But he is a pig, he usually gobbles up all the food within seconds. I want to give him some blood worms, but my Wal Mart doesn't sell them. I read that you can use live worms from the ground too. Is that safe as long as I wash them off and if so, how do I do it? Just throw the whole thing in and let him nibble at it or break it up?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #6 
Sakura8

If you want to use earthworms from the ground, you have to rinse them thoroughly and then chop them into tiny betta-size bits. Only feed him one or two bits at a time. I'm not sure how you store the rest, possibly the refrigerator or maybe you can freeze them?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #7 
Eiyer

Oh ok. Do you know if baby minnows will eat fish flakes? I'd really hate for them to starve since I pretty much fishnapped them from the creek, lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Probably. Crush them up into kind of a powder for them and see if they'll eat that. Otherwise you may have to go down to the creek and find some mosquito larva for them.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #9 
Eiyer

Ok...I'm really not 100% sure if these are minnows to be honest. They are extremely small. I just figured they were babies. They have a silvery belly, a black line going from their head to their tail down the side and like a shiny brown or goldish color back. Also, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but what would be a good kind of plant to buy for it? I wanted to get those bulbs that you put in your tank and they grow into plants.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Try and take a picture sometime. They could be the babies of something that will get much bigger, like a trout.