Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Floating Poop

I picked up a little crown tail from Petsmart yesterday because he was in horrible condition. his fins were shredded, gills were swollen, ammonia burns, was thin, and because he had a nice long parasite poop hanging out.

He's on aquarium salt, epsom salt, and Tetra Parasite Guard. I've had him for about 24 hours now, he's pooped about 10 times between yesterday afternoon and last night. This morning when I checked on him and to feed him, there was nothing floating around his tank. When I checked again just 10 minutes ago there was a black poop floating in the tank with a parasite in it. I scooped it out to take a look and it was also pretty mushy.

In the 24 hours I've had him, he's had two water changes. He's currently in a half full quarter gallon hospital tank.

Tanks size is half a quarter gallon that stays around the 78*F range. No tank mates as he's in quarantine. 1/4 tsp aquarium salt and 1/4 tsp epsom salt have been used for 24 hours now as well as a close to accurate dosage of the parasite medication. He's been kept in the dark to keep him relaxed.

Should I be worried about this floating, black poop or is it a side effect from the poor care and and sudden medication? He's only eaten 2 pellets in the 24 hours I've had him.
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
MaggieLynn

I have never heard of anything like this. In my opinion I think that both salts and the med are a bit much. I have only heard of using one or the other. My advice would be to maybe stick with the meds, they work a bit quicker, just make sure not to over dose and maybe private message Old Fish Lady.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

He got one more day of salt and meds with no more incidents. Now he's only got aquarium salt and dechlorinator in the water and will have green tea in with him tomorrow after a water change.

I used both because he was so thin and had a giant parasite poop hanging out. within the first day there were quite a few more parasite poops even with the medication, so I wanted to get rid of it as quick as possible before it killed him.

His poop is as regular as it can be for now since he's only interested in 1 pellet a day, so he's not being fasted either. There's a good 24 hours between each pellet he eats simply because he refuses to eat any more than 1, even if more are available.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Well, seeing as he was in such bad condition when you got him, I wouldn't be too worried as of yet- you haven't had him long enough to freak yet haha ;) Keep up with what you're doing and good luck!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Yeah. I offer him food every few hours and leave it for him for about half an hour. If it's not eaten by then, I take it out. He's completely disinterested in bloodworms whether they're crushed or not. He'll only eat small pellets, but I'm not freaking about it right now. Wouldn't want to overload him with food to add to his problems.

There's nothing I can do to help his jaw is there? It sticks out a bit from his upper jaw and forms a point in the middle. Doesn't seem like he can close it or open it all the way. would that be partially due to his lack of muscle or fat?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

How long did you treat him for the internal parasites? Salt will not kill internal parasites and it takes more than 1 day to kill them so make sure you finish the entire course of anti-parasite medication. I do not advise using Tetra Parasite Guard as it is not very effective... Jungle's Parasite Clear or Jungle's Anti-Parasite pellets are much better if you can get one of those.

If you can use API Stress Coat or Kordon's Fish Protector that will help reduce stress and aid fin growth.

His jaw issue could be due to his condition but some bettas do have that deformation. It isn't a serious problem but he won't be able to eat large foods.

Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

Well as far as the food he might just be adjusting and getting over whatever the bug was but Im glad he is now regluar. Hopefully he makes a full recovery! Cant wait to see what he looks like when his fins grow back and he is recovered, even in the pic he is a pretty boy.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

He went through the 48 hour treatment as suggested on the back of the package. I've been keeping an eye on his poop and what little does come out is always the color of the pellet he last ate. It hasn't been stringy or mushy since, but as firm as one pellet poop can be and relatively thick.

I'm will be going back to Petsmart tomorrow, so I will see if that one sells Jungle Parasite meds that aren't in food form since he's not big on eating. It won't hurt to pick up a pack just in case. I'm not overly concerned with his fins, as they'll be slow regrowing with his current food intake and condition anyway, but I'll try and pick up some stress coat as well.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

As long as his poop stays dark then there is nothing to worry about but I really do suggest that you use a better med in the future. Tetra Parasite Guard is really just a front; it is impossible to treat internal parasites with those ingredients in just 48 hours as the med claims to do. IMO They are banking on your fish not actually having internal parasites so it looks like it is working ;) Keep an eye on him. Walmart is the only store that sells Jungle Parasite Fizz tablets. Petsmart sells the medicated pellets. It is possible that his poop was like that from stress or lack of food, not necessarily parasites. Hopefully that is the case!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Good thing Walmart is right next to the Petsmart in my town. Too bad they're a 20 minute drive on the highway away, but I'll be going tomorrow morning to get one of my sister's males set up for a new home, since Petsmart is the only store that sells a 2.5 gallon tank in town. And Walmart is cheaper on gravel, food, and decorations.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 07-13-2011 at 10:05 PM.