Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
HD4life

Exclamation New spawn need help!

I paired up archer and ishka my CT's, they have been together all day and started trying to embrace about 30 minutes ago. This is ishka's second spawn so she is really round with eggs, Archer can't wrap around her. He tries several times and gets frustrated and chases her away. Poor girl is being such a sport though and keeps coming back. Should I just wait and see if they figure it out?
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #2 
Creat

Sometimes if their first-timers it takes a while. If their trying and not harming each other to much I would leave them together.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 
HD4life

After an hour I separated them, they were both tiring out. Makes me so sad tho, I was really looking forward to they're spawn.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #4 
Creat

Sometimes it can take up to three days for them to figure it out. You can always pair them back together :) at a later date.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

As long as your spawning tank has plenty of space and places for them to get away from each other......with problem spawners leave them together and they will figure it out....feed them, turn off the lights at night...regular care and as long as they are not trying to kill each other all should be fine...it may take them longer and if you really want a spawn from this pair...it may take days to weeks...she may have to drop some eggs alone so he can embrace her better and sometimes she will drop eggs during a failed embrace so he can wrap her...this varies.....good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with OFL, as long as they're not killing each other, you should let them be. Often, too fat females are harder to embrace so she would have to release some before they get it right. You will have fewer fertilized eggs but you will have fry.

As a note; sometimes they don't get it right and the female eventually releases unfertilized eggs. Sometimes they need more than a day - because I don't use lights, so the female releases unfertilized eggs.
How ever the condition of your pair, there's a bigger chance of getting fry if you let them be. If you take the female out, she might release unfertilized eggs anyway because her eggs should have "ripen".
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Aww, that's sad. But you can always pari them up again later, and it *may* wwork out :) A lot of first time breeders have trouble, but eventually after a couple tries they usually figure it out. if not, you can always purchase another male or female, and try the different pairing, too. Good luck with your next spawning attempt!!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #8 
HD4life

I suppose I can put her back in today and see how it goes. I will be sure to turn the lights out at night to give them a break hopefully. My spawn tank is a ten gallon and she had plenty of refuge. I will try not to panic but be patient if it takes time and just keep an eye on the aggression levels.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 
Smr2892

Another spawn? wow! I'm so jealous! You're going to have soooooo many babies :) I hope this pair ends up working out for you!
Smr2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #10 
HD4life

I know right lol I have plenty of space and lots of probable homes though.