Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #1 
lunawatsername

breeding halfmoon bettas - first timer :D

hi, just wanted to set up a little log that im going to try to keep updated as i go through my first ever spawn! the pair im breeding are both halfmoons i got from Chard56 on aquabid. and without further ado, heres the couple!

the boy, Hades:

the girl, Pixie:

and the tank, as it is now:

so, right now i am conditioning them both, they are out of sight of each other, and im feeding them frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and pellets, feeding 3 times a day. im thinking that if they both look good on wednesday, ill put hades in the breeding tank for a few hours and then introduce pixie, in a jar. and ill see what happens from there :)

as for the tank itself, all i have in there right now is a heater and a couple IALs. pretty soon their will be a dozen small marimo balls (yes, a literal dozen lol) as well as some fake plants, and a few little places to hide for the girl. im still not sure if im going to put a styro cup in their yet, i might just let it happen on the leaves or find a floating plant if i can, well see.

if anyone is wondering, i will be feeding them a variety of foods (all of which i purchased on aquabid from a user named Fishguy_1955) the food is an artificial plankton/rotifers blend, spirulina powder, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, and a blended starter meal that he makes himself. oh, and a culture of micro, banana, and walter worms. i plan on feeding about 4 or 5 times a day, with a water change about 30 minutes after feeding.

im really excited to get started! if you have any suggestions or comments, feel free :)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2 
Creat

They both look really good I am interested to see the fry :) I usually add a piece of bubble wrap for the males sometimes they use it sometimes they have other ideas of where to put the nest. And what ever your feeding make sure its good in protein. I will usually do mosquito larva, bloodworms along with their regular pellets. Best of luck tell me how the food goes for you I'd be interested
to try it :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Good luck on your first spawn! I Usually add a styrofoam cup in with the male for his bubble nest...if he uses it, great! But Even if he doesn't it isn't a big deal, I can just take it out :) What a beautiful pair!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #4 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Quote:
as for the tank itself, all i have in there right now is a heater and a couple IALs. pretty soon their will be a dozen small marimo balls (yes, a literal dozen lol) as well as some fake plants, and a few little places to hide for the girl.
LOL. I LOVE marimo moss balls, I have a whole ten gallon tank so full of them that you can hardly see the bottom :) My mom wants me to get rid of some....but I told her if I do that, I would still have a ten gallon tank, so why not keep all the moss balls? heehee. If you want places for the female to hide, buy a terra cotta pot at a craft store, usually about 99cents. :) Just make sure if there is a hole in the bottom that your bettas can not get stuck in it xD You know bettas...always trying to do something...well....INTERESTING.... LOL

Last edited by FiShFiShFiShFiSh; 06-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

cool pair. i love chard56 and he is actually a member on this forum. all of his females are huge so is she massive. and what is the males coloring?
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
lunawatsername

@creat- i will definitely try to keep this updated, im excited to see how they turn out to!!!

@FiSh- thats what i was thinking, ill probably go for the styrofoam cup too :) and thank you! yea, im starting to love marimo balls too. im horrible with plants and even i havent been able to kill them yet lol funny that you mention terra cotta pots, because i just got back from a craft store, and i picked some up xDDD and yeah, i know they will get into mischief any way that they can xDD

@mernin- thanks! :D yes she is enormous! i was almost scared that she would be too big, because i have heard that it is bad to have a female that is bigger than the male. she isnt, but just barely lol and yeah, sorry the pictures are so blurry, and his has alot of glare on it... hes blue, with black trim and a black face. chard called him a "melano butterfly", but im still pretty new with the color pattern names so i have no idea what that means lol. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #7 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

They are impossible to kill :D From what I hear, they are from lakes and stuff, so I'm guessing it is really dark because they don't float on the surface, but sometimes a little close. Mine don't float, though :D They get kind swished around from the filter current, though. LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #8 
lunawatsername

really? i never knew they floated... none of mine do lol
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Mine don't float, they just sway with the current when they get caught in it...my Betta fish Ember likes to push them into the filter flow so they sway around...I think he likes his game...LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #10 
mernincrazy8525

oh i saw that male on his sales. you know pixie's brother is actually for sale know! here he is
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...asd&1309398004
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, breeding, first time breeder