Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #11 
lunawatsername

oh. my. god. mernin, you have no idea how badly i want that fish lol. unfortunately i just cant take another fish right now.... no money and im trying to concentrate on the ones i have first, but he is gorgeous!!!
FiSh- that is so cute! mine like to pay games too, i think its adorable xDD
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #12 
mernincrazy8525

i knew you would like him. but i am interested in what the fry with this male will look like!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #13 
lunawatsername

me too! i really have no experience with color combos (of course, this is my first time lol) but im hoping that some look like the mom, because i fell in love with her color the minute i saw her. i wonder if any will combine their colors somehow? so exciting! :D
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #14 
lunawatsername

so i thought i would just post a quick pic to show you a few additions that i put in the breeding tank. :D

sorry, i know my pics are blurry/have alot of glare, so ill just give you the rundown on what i put it :) so in addition to the heater and IALs, their are now a couple fake plants, about 14 marimo balls, and 2 different sized terra cotta pots. ill probably add more for her to hide in, because i want to be sure she has enough cover, especially because ive heard of spawns lasting days before they even embrace lol well, thats all for now :D

edit: and by the way, if the tank looks really small, thats because i took a pic from the side lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #15 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Nice setup! I have never tried IAL but supposedly they have amazing qualities....but my bettas spawn fine without them, and I get lots of healthy fry ;)
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #16 
lunawatsername

thank you! yeah, it came with the food i bought so i thought i would try it out. :) i have heard that it actually doesnt have any special qualities, other than its tannins making the bettas feel more at home because it occurs naturally where thy come from (though i never really understood that, as these bettas have not been wild for many generations, id guess...) oh well! anything that might give them a boost is okay with me :D

edit: hey just wondering, how long do you condition your pair for? and how long do you leave the male in the tank for by himself, when do you add the female in the jar (or vase) and how long do you keep her separated? just wanted to get some various opinions :)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #17 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

I condition my pair for 1-2 weeks, depending on when the female is full of eggies and the male is building a bubble nest :3 Sometimes the male doesn't build a bubble nest...it doesn't seem to matter, though, he usually build one when he sees the female. Once they are done conditioning I add the female to the males tank in the jar/chimney/vase/etc. (I condition the male while he is in the spawning tank so he can just build a bubble nest in there.) How long I keep them separated depends...if the female has vertical white stripes across her then I know that she is ready to breed, and if she is flaring at the male. Sometimes the females are a little shy, but as long as she has the vertical stripes you are okay :) Once the male and female are flaring at eachother and the male has at least STARTED a bubble nest, I release the female. The female stays in between 1-3 days, I don't feed them when they are together, it can arouse aggression over the food...once you see the male aggressively chasing her away and gaurding the bubble nest, and if you can see eggs in it (but they are pretty tiny and hard to see even for me) then remove the female and let the male do his 'daddy' thing :) I feed them both after they are separated, some people say it may induce the male to eat his eggs because he is still huingry, etc. but I find that it does not matter, I just feel bad for him and don't want him to starve :3 If the male and female have not mated after 3 days, then take out the female and condition the male and female for another week, and try again. Sometimes they are not in the mood. Things that make them switch into 'breeding' mode I find are: good food, and water changes. this resembles when there is fresh water in rice paddies after it rains, as the most rainy season is the season they breed. (AKA spring) just when doing the water changes if the male has a bubble nest try not to 'HULK SMASH' it. LOL. I accidentally did this to my male before, and he seemes to be mad at me ever since x) If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #18 
lunawatsername

thank you! :D ive only been conditioning for a few days and already the female has faint breeding bars, and looks eggy. the male has small bubble nests in the corners of his tank, but not a big nice one. hes not in the breeding tank tho lol

edit: i wanted to get pics of the breeding bars to show, but she got stressed when i put the camera up to her. guess not :/ lol
Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #19 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Yeah it depends on the betta fish, one of my females is I'm guessing a little conceited, and loves to swim up to the front of the tank and pose for me :) But Jade, my purple roundtail female, hates pictures and hides in her cave :)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #20 
lunawatsername

so i thought i would just update really quick.

after a little scare with a "parasite" that turned out to be planteria worms (phew!) everything is back on track, and i just released the male into the spawning tank

hes just making himself comfortable, so im going to give him a day or 2 before i put the female in a vase. im so excited! and Hades was being hilarious in the tank, he was staring down an IAL, flaring and everything, then went and put one lone bubble under the tupperware top i have in there. yay!!! :DDD

Tags
betta fish, breeding, first time breeder