Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #1 
Serafina

Hi I'm new

Hi everybody,

I just signed up a few days ago. I bought a Betta fish from Petco on a whim a couple weeks ago after a discussion about animal rights. I named him Peta, but I call him Peter for short, lol. I had Betta fish growing up, with a few good intentioned but unsuccessful breeding attempts. It's fun to own one again.

Peter has an aquarium with a heater and a couple of African Dwarf Frogs for companions. I'm enjoying my fish, he's quite a character.

My name is Sarah. I live in Los Angeles, but I grew up near Seattle. I'm looking forward to meeting more Betta fish enthusiasts. Please introduce yourselves and your fish. I'd love to meet you

Here's Peter:
Serafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #2 
kathstew

Welcome to the forum! Its great to see you! Everyone here is super friendly, and all very helpful!
I'm kathstew, but you can call me Kathryn. :)
I have 10 bettas, as well as a few other kinds of fish. I have 6 female bettas in a sorority 10 gallon tank, and 4 males in divided tanks (2 in each tank). My males are Chuckie Sue, Spazz, Femur and my newest guy who doesn't have a name yet. My females are Ocean, Drama Queen, Little Red, Faith, Sunshine and Butterfly!
Be warned bettas are VERY addicting. I started with two in about March, and now have 10, as well as getting my sister hooked (she has one and platys) and my mom has one too! :P
If you ever have any questions, just ask!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
Serafina

You're so right! When I had my Bettas as a kid, I started with one and ended up with about 8, LOL. I am already thinking about getting some more again... Peter's cool, but I would also like a fancy fish. Maybe a half moon or a crowntail.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 
TonyK

Welcome to the forum There are very helpful people and I have learned quite a bit with my short time here.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #5 
RiverStoneBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I'm Jason, but everyone here just calls me River.

I had two bettas when I was younger (Blaze and Frost), but my "true" betta craze began about 3 years ago when I rescued Quinn from a vase in a college dorm. I did my research and got him into the best home and care routine possible for him. Now he's in a 10 gallon with some Cory cats, filtered and heated. He's 4 years old, but still very active and very big.

I also have a Boba Fish, a tail-biting red veiltail, in a 2.5 gallon tank whom I've had for 2 years. Fafnir, my Cambodian Dragon Delta is the newest fish in my care, living in his own 5.5 gallon tank on my nightstand. He's one of the first things I see in the morning and it always makes me happy.

Kathstew is right, bettas are addicting. I'm at my self-imposed limit right now, but had I the space and the money, I would love to set up a sorority tank. Somewhat of a dream of mine. You start of rescuing one, then you start feeling urges to buy more when you walk by a display in a store.

Enjoy your time on the forum and don't hesitate to ask anyone questions!
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 
Serafina

Thanks TonyK and Jason/River. I will have a lot of questions down the line, I think. The sorority tank is something I never did, but I'd like to do. It seems like the females get left behind at the store, because more people want males (I know I did). I wonder how many end up in the garbage? It's sad.

So far my guy Peter is doing well. He eats good and builds bubble nests, so I think he's pretty happy. I sure enjoy watching him. :) It's very soothing.

River is that Fafnir in your avatar? He's beautiful. Love the snake TonyK!

~Sarah
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Peter is beautiful! Welcome to the forum.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 
Johnificent

Welcome! Like the above forum members have said, bettas are very, and i mean VERY, and i cannot stress this enough, addicting. Yep, its true! I started out with 1 around February at Petco, and then I came on this site and went to get a proper home for him. On that day, I bought another betta! Then my aunt knew I had the betta bug, so she bought me three more bettas! afterwards, I had 5 male bettas, then my dad came home with a female betta! Sadly, my first betta recently died yesterday, and all the other bettas died recently except the one taht I bought on my second visit to petco. This sounds confusing, I know, hahaha, sadly, i am now left with one betta :'( but, i'm going to go get another betta this week or next week! So, i'm very excited! Overall, I'd just like to say welcome! :D
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #9 
LittleNibbles93

Welcome to the forum! :D Peter's adoreable, I love veiltails.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #10 
Serafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNibbles93 View Post
Welcome to the forum! :D Peter's adoreable, I love veiltails.
Thanks me too, they're classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
Welcome! Like the above forum members have said, bettas are very, and i mean VERY, and i cannot stress this enough, addicting. Yep, its true! I started out with 1 around February at Petco, and then I came on this site and went to get a proper home for him. On that day, I bought another betta! Then my aunt knew I had the betta bug, so she bought me three more bettas! afterwards, I had 5 male bettas, then my dad came home with a female betta! Sadly, my first betta recently died yesterday, and all the other bettas died recently except the one taht I bought on my second visit to petco. This sounds confusing, I know, hahaha, sadly, i am now left with one betta :'( but, i'm going to go get another betta this week or next week! So, i'm very excited! Overall, I'd just like to say welcome! :D
LOL! That's a lot of work I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to go back and get another one. I had Peter in a 2L betta bowl for awhile, and we decided to upgrade to an aquarium. I still have to bowl sitting here empty and it's hard not to put something else in it. BUT, if I did that then I would probably end up feeling sorry for it and getting another aquarium. I'm gonna hold off for awhile and enjoy Peter. I wish I could get more right now though. Uggg, I'm torn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Peter is beautiful! Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Littlebittyfish! He was on the bottom shelf. It was between him and a red guy on the top shelf. He just spoke to me: take me home! lol