Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #1 
DormDrax

Spooky Snail

Ok yeah... Drax is fine.

Anyway... Since the Horror of the Mollies and Platy's I've gone back and filled the tank with several Ghost Shrimp and a Snail...

Drax......... after a few days hasn't killed anything HOORAY...

Issue?

My new Snail...
My last Snail, named Desi....
This Current Snail I've named Dizzy...
The issue? Shell status...

At Petsmart I asked the girl to get me the healthiest snail she could find.
She found a BIG one under an ornament in the tank and netted them...

So Dizzy is like twice the size Desi was. a GIANT yellow colored snail. But unlike Desi... Dizzy actually WORKS... today I found her sitting on my Anubias plant... and noticed ALL the leaves had those trail marks (All the leaves had been covered in brown Algae) on them.... and are now MUCH cleaner. She's been a real worker! She's been all over the tank in the past few days just cleaning away like a champ at that brown algae as if it was going out of style!

The spooky part? I've gotten REAL attached to her... since she's huge, bright, colorful, active.... but the spooky part...

She's see through... *bum Bum BUMMMMMMM!*

She's a very light yellow with alittle green around the spiral of the shell... but I was watching (While drunk) her going over the Anubias and noticed I was seeing a WUMP......... WUMP........ WUMP......... just under the shell.... I rubbed my eyes and realized I wasn't seeing things... I was clearly seeing either her HEart pumping or her lungs (No idea) gills moving. ...

My question... is this sometimes normal? Or is maybe her shell frail and I should add some Calcium? The water is already hard but I want to give her the best chance! She's already done SOO much cleaning of my Brown Algae cursed tank! If this is normal... then she's fine... if this can mean a frail shell... then what should I do... that wouldn't harm the Shrimp OR Drax. Sounds dumb to be so concerned for a SNAIL of all things but I dunno... for a Snail she's adorable (to me) and seems to have a hunger for brown Algae (and not plants). The perfect snail! So yeah... if normal than woohoo! If possible weak shell from Petsmart... Oh no!
.... Size? She's slightly over an inch ... a BIG one. which I know means OLD for snails but VERY active, even more so than Desi ever was.

She's very Active, but thankfully Drax just ignores her. Despite her bright colors.

The tank is at 75 Degrees.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

for the record, I just recently placed a terrestrial snail (a banded snail found in a garden) in my terrarium...Ive had him less than 24 hours and already im ridiculously attached to him...so dont feel bad.

Sorry I dont have any really useful input...I dunno much about aquatic snails...but good luck!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

dude that is the creepiest thing ever... see through snail... check to see if you can see him swallow the algae? post pics of him lol!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #4 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
dude that is the creepiest thing ever... see through snail... check to see if you can see him swallow the algae? post pics of him lol!
*Flails Arms*

No No No!

Not like... See Through as in... OMG! Not See Through Like a Ghost Shrimp.

More like... I was drinking Tea... (Lies it was Wine) and after feeding Drax... I sorta started into my weird Trance of staring at the tank for like... an hour (10minutes) and Dizzy (The Snail) was sittin on the Anubias and I just.......... *Scraps this dialogue* OH FOR.... I'm just repeating my first POST!

Not SEE through... just after staring for about 10 seconds (And spacing out) I just started to see something moving back and forth under the Yellow Shell. Hence I wonder if it's her Heart or Her Lung.

Seriously I love this snail haha she has single handedly... well... Single Footed...ly taken a stab at my Brown Algae problem. Every plant is now like... 50% cleaner and area's of the glass that are sorta fogged over with brown are now getting series of snail marks.

.................... WHA? *Looking all over tank*

*Looks up from tank*

SHE'S GONE!?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 
ChelseaK

I've always found it's best to not mess with the fish while intoxicated! X-p. This post has made me giggle.
At least you don't think that the fish were talking to you... that's when you back away from the tank...
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
I've always found it's best to not mess with the fish while intoxicated! X-p. This post has made me giggle.
At least you don't think that the fish were talking to you... that's when you back away from the tank...
... Right.

Oh... found Dizzy btw. Seems she found herself a favorite niche between the java fern and the cave. She's totally camo'd from frontal viewing. Hahaha